Here’s my story… I got a Vasectomy 4 months ago today. It’s been the worst 4 months of my life. I cannot even describe the pain I have been through. The constant excruciating pain is unrelenting and excruciating. I would walk to the ends of the earth for a cure, if only I could walk for more than 100 meters without experiencing even more pain. This has ransacked my physical, emotional and mental health. I have had suicidal thoughts - anything to escape this pain.
I didn’t know this was a possible outcome or that PVPS was even a thing until I found reddit and this forum. How was this not disclosed to me as a potential outcome from Vasectomy? This is unconscionable and a failure or modern medicine at every level and the lack of disclosure is unethical. I am considering suing the urologist who did this to me for lack of sufficient disclosure.
I cannot sit for more than an hour without exacerbating the pain. I can’t walk without pain. I can’t pick up my kids. I can’t exercise. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it does feel good to type it out and know there is a community of people who will read and actually know what I am experiencing.
Afer my surgery, the discomfort never went away, but the real, terrible pain didn’t start until 4 1/2 weeks post surgery. It came on like a freight train during intercourse one evening and took my breath away and sent me to my knees in agony. And it never went away.
I feel like I have tried everything except surgical intervention and the only things that seem to give real help are are narcotic pain medicine, THC and Lyrica. They are all temporary fixes, or course. Here’s a list of things I have been doing to try and get relief and healing and pain reduction:
- Papaya Seed Powder - No noticeable effect/relief
- Turmeric - No noticeable effect/relief
- Various other supplements and vitamins - No noticeable effect/relief
- NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Naproxen, etc) - No relief
- Hydrocodone - Almost no relief
- Oxycodone - Blunts the pain. This is the best medication for short term relief. Very concerned bout long term dependence or addiction.
- THC - aka Medical Marijuana - This helps to reduce the pain. I take it at night because the levels I have to take to get the pain to subside also make me very sedated and unable to focus or do my job well. It definitely helps me to sleep.
- Lyrica - I noticed pain reduction and especially reduction in referred/radiating pain in the abdomen pretty soon after taking this. Again, I have concerns about being on it long-term, and I have major brain fog and slurred speech, but it does seem to help with the pain.
- Specialty underwear - I tried so many different brands. I now wear two pairs of underwear at the same time, all the time. I put these on first they isolate the testicles and help reduce up and down motion https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKK9ZK7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And then I wear Saxx boxer brief underwear over the top to prevent sideways motion https://www.saxxunderwear.com/collections/boxer-briefs. - This has been the best I’ve found and does provide some relief
- Sweat pants - I only can wear sweat pants. Anything else will cause pressure or increased pain.
Other things I’ve tried or considered:
- Ice - Almost no relief
- Ultrasounds - I’ve had two and they don’t show anything particularly damning except for some mind swelling in the epididymis and varicose veins.
- Nerve block - I had one scheduled, but backed out because I don’t trust the pain clinic and have read too many stories of the blocks making things worse unless they are done by a specialist on the spermatic cord.
- Prayer - No immediate reduction of pain, but some sense of peace and calm
So that’s where I’ve been. I have a reversal surgery scheduled for 3 weeks from now. That bit of hope keeps me moving from one day to another. I’m desperate for it to work and if it makes things worse or doesn’t eliminate this pain, I’m honestly not sure what I will do. By the time I get the reversal, I’ll be 5 months post vasectomy. I have had two urologists tell me I should wait until 6 months, but frankly, I’m not sure I can make it that long, and I’m desperate to just try and get “put back together the way I was” or at least as close as possible.
Am I missing any other options? If you were in my shoes would you continue to wait longer or proceed with reversal now?
I’ll post updates here, in hopes that it will help someone else in a similar position.