Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Travel for reversal vs. pandemic

@WtfMyNuts,

You said neuropathic pain above. Have you tried metformin? It helped me a lot with nerve pain. I know that’s an off label use but it may be worth a try if you can convince a doctor to prescribe it. I asked for it to help me lose some stubborn lbs but found that after a couple days my nerve pain died way down.

Something to think about. I’m not saying this to scare you but reversal is not joke.

I have not tried metformin. I understand it can have a lot of side effects. My current regimen keeps the pain mostly in check and I’m going to stick with that until I can get a reversal. I have in reserve gabapentin if it gets bad. I know a reversal is a big deal but IMO it’s my best bet at getting my life back.

I found Metformin had horrible side effects. When I was on it I had a lot of problems with muscle fatigue while doing swim workouts and fatigue in general. You just feel like crap. However those might be worth putting up with for a week or 2 to see if your pain goes away. I have read that pain can take on a life of it’s own if it’s on too long or too intensely. The term is becoming “centralized”. I don’t understand it that well. I’m not sure anyone does. I found that 4 days on Metformin and my pain attenuated down to to the point where it was almost turned off completely. Once it was off I was able to stop taking Metformin. I never took it that much or that long and that lingering burning/pinching pain I had never really came back. I was able to maintain benefit taking 1 pill every day and a half then eventually stopped completely.

You could be another great case study in the effectiveness of it combating chronic neuropathic pain.

I think if you graphed my presence on this site you would see it dropped off dramatically in September 2019 when I first took Metformin.

Just a suggestion.

I have to weigh in a bit. I had what I can only characterize as nerve pain. It affected my inner thigh, hip, lower back, and groin area all on the left side. This lasted from Dec 2015 to March 2019 in pretty much constant pain/tightness. Over the past year that pain has went away. This was done through relaxing and minimal stretching that increased with time. Additionally I increased some of my workouts over that time to increase my muscles down there that had weakened over 3 years.

I just want to stress that this took a long time for the pain to go away and didn’t just disappear all at once, but it decreased slowly over time. It wasn’t until probably 3 or 4 weeks ago that I haven’t had any pain at any time throughout the day at all. For the 3 to 4 months prior to that I was maybe at 95% gradually going to the 100%. Before that I would say It took 3-4 months to go from 50% to 95% and for the 3-4 months prior to that it was from my high pain to about 50% of the pain.

I can’t say that it will work for everyone with the same pain, but I will say that I was very doom and gloom for over 3 years and I never thought I would feel like this again. I also can’t say that it won’t come back at some point as it may, but I’ll take what I can get. I think mine was overly tight muscles from the original surgery and then couple that with the anxiety I had, which tightened things even more, it just took a long time for things to loosen back up and feel normal again.

The medicine that I think helped me the most was diazepam, which is a muscle relaxant/anxiety reducer. I used that at the beginning of the 1 year and then got off of it.

Hopefully things progress in a positive direction for you and the pain goes away with or without the reversal. Please let me know if you have any questions, I know there have been others that helped me and made a big difference and gave me hope, such as @PVPSux and @RichUK.

Thanks uncomfortable, I’ve been down the PT and non invasive route. I had my pain at nearly zero last summer and other times. It always comes back. I’ve posted about it here. I believe my nerves are set off by constant irritation from epididymitis and congestion. It’s strange, my nuts always hurt a little, but it sets off pain in nearby places that can feel much worse.