Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Superior Hypogastic Plexus Block?

Has anyone tried this nerve block? I haven’t seen local Pain Management for several months, but when I last saw him, he suggested this as next step.

Seems like a real long shot (pun intended).

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/hypogastric-plexus-block

I just had a similar injection. Mine was ilioinguinal/iliohypogastric peripheral nerve block. I laid on my back and the injection site was sort of near where my thigh meets my groin. Dr. was saying how there is an artery, a vein, and the nerve that all run along next to each other and he had to do it by feel and didn’t use the fluoroscope. I told him to take as much time as he needed! The injection contained lidocaine and a steroid (dexamethasone). The lidocaine wore off later that day and the steroids are supposed to kick in after 2 or 3 days. Haven’t noticed any relief yet. I had this done on Thursday (2 days ago). The injection itself wasn’t too bad. Anyone on here going through chronic groin pain would have no problem with it. I didn’t receive any type of local or sedation for this injection. Did make me a little nervous when the nurse put her hands on my legs and started patting them, then right before the Dr. goes in with the needs, she tells me to go ahead and grit my teeth. Then there was the audible sigh of relief when the Dr. didn’t hit anything that bled. The sigh came from the Dr. I got the feeling that although they do a lot of injections and nerve blocks, this wasn’t one that they did routinely. I asked and they confirmed my suspicion. I’ll keep you posted if this works though.

Those blocks should be done by experienced people only by ultrasound guidance. Mine was done under this and i wouldn’t have it any other way. If its not done under ultrasound guidance your playing with fire by non experienced people. Reason being only people with experience know how much can go wrong. Eg bleeds, vein damage, nerve damage just to name a few. So yes i had one and did not much, wore off by a week. And steroids mixture made me sick to.

1 Like

If they use an aspirating syringe, it shouldn’t be a problem. I hit veins and arteries all the time. I don’t like it but it’s not the end of the world. I agree that it should be done under ultrasound. Not because it’s dangerous without it but simply because it’s hard to find.