Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Subreddit for collecting PVPS stories

All,

I’ve been making frequent posts to www.reddit.com/r/postvasectomypain for several months now. Partly to motivate my own search for stories. Partly to provide a place where skeptics or people who who just want to know what PVPS is really like can go and get intimately acquainted with the phenomenon.

I’m posting links to stories from several places in social media, including this website. When the stories are long, I provide excerpts to hit the highlights.

You might want to check it out. You may find it is a helpful resource. Because it’s organized by person, not by topic, it provides an alternative perspective from sites like this one. The aggregation of stories from different sites, including many stories by men who apparently know very little about PVPS, might help surprise readers and persuade them that the problem is real, more common than they realized, and being downplayed by doctors.

I have enough of a backlog to continue posting for a long time, and other people are free to post there as well, so check back for new stories.

I’ve added a new feature to the subreddit that you might find interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/postvasectomypain/wiki/timeline

This wiki page is a timeline of lots of links to PVPS stories. There are 246 stories in the timeline so far. They span 50 years from 1969 to 2019. I plan to add more.

The stories are indexed by the date of vasectomy. I think it paints a relentlessly upsetting picture that can do a lot to overcome skepticism about the reality of what we are experiencing. Anyone who watches the whole grim parade go by should have a good understanding of what risks they are signing up for by getting a vasectomy.

The stories are gathered from 30 different websites, but most frequent contributors are as follows:

If you see your story on the timeline but I put the wrong date, feel free to message me with a correction.

3 Likes

Update on the timeline:

Total story count up to 300 now.

I have added a “Codes” column, and populated it for every story in the timeline.

There are also codes statistics, which currently stand as follows:

Code Meaning Count Percent
LTP Long term pain 222 74%
LL Lower Libido 49 16%
EDY Erectile Dysfunction 33 11%
DC Disappointing climax 93 31%
PSX Pain during sex 70 23%
SGR Got a reversal 58 19%
SGE Got an epididymectomy 9 3%
SGO Got an orchiectomy 4 1%
SGD Got a denervation 6 2%
PAR Partner’s perspective 20 7%
OTR Other 11 4%
4 Likes

Timeline now has a chart of story count over time, which I’ll include here as well:

2 Likes

I noticed an interesting correlation between the story statistics and a journal article from 2008.

Here are the latest story statistics:

Code Meaning Count Percent
LTP Long term pain 269 73%
LL Lower Libido 57 16%
EDY Erectile Dysfunction 39 11%
DC Disappointing climax/sensitivity 107 29%
PSX Pain during/after sex 81 22%
SGR Got a reversal 68 19%
SGE Got an epididymectomy 14 4%
SGO Got an orchiectomy 7 2%
SGD Got a denervation 8 2%
PAR Partner’s perspective 28 8%
OTR Other / Unknown 21 6%

Here is the data from the journal article:

Symptoms%20of%20PVPS

(Link to article)

Looks to me like the random sampling of social media stories about PVPS is generating a pattern similar to the one published int he 2008 study.

Judge for yourself:

Compare%20Study%20and%20Stories

If this means anything, it seems likely that social media is under-representing the frequency of “Pain with Intercourse”.

Also worth noting… urologists will still vigorously deny that vasectomy has anything whatsoever to do with lower libido or erectile dysfunction. A commonly heard theme is that people who fear this are fundamentally confused about anatomy, and should be reassured that there is no physical way possible that cutting the vas deferens could have this effect. All it is is a conduit for sperm.

If they are pressed on this point, they will sometimes acknowledge that men may experience lower libido or ED after vasectomy, but they will immediately follow this up with the point that men without a vasectomy may have these conditions – or that if the vasectomy is to blame the pathogenesis must be psychological. These men with soft willies must either have some strong cultural baggage equating the ability to father children with their status as males in the society. Alternatively, perhaps they resent their wives for being pressured into the surgery.

It appears that a little more than 1/4 of men with PVPS experience lower libido and/or erectile dysfunction. I wonder what percentage of men who have an uncomplicated vasectomy experience these problems? What is the reasoning presented to argue that this should be thought of as a psychological problem?

We have lots of reports from men here who say that reversal improved their sexual dysfunction issues. Is this typical of psychological problems? Do urologists intend to argue that the men have benefited from a $10,000 placebo?

In my opinion, more study is warranted before smugly pronouncing a verdict that attempts to invalidate this concern and the experiences of the men who end up suffering this outcome.

3 Likes