Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Still Open after 9 years

Just wanted to mention that I checked this morning and still have sperm in my ejaculate 9 years after my reversal. I don’t know if it’s one side or both open. I happen to believe It’s probably one side, my left, but it’s good to know. I did not achieve a satisfactory pain state, near complete pain resolution, until about 6 years after reversal. I did have a very significant drop in burning/stabbing pain immediately after my reversal for which I was grateful to the point of tears.

It’s long slog for some of us.

Not sure why I’m sharing this but thought maybe it would provide some useful information to the group about long term viability of reversal and how long recovery can take and that it can indeed take place even after a fairly long period of time.

Update:
Another mod has pointed out this post might be confusing or misleading to some. For anyone not familiar with my story I was here way back at the beginning and beyond with several guys on the old Yahoo Forum. I’m not going to repeat my entire story here again as I don’t feel like it and it’s all documented here probably multiple times over. I don’t post nearly as much as I used to and that’s because I was able to get to a place where I don’t consider myself to have chronic pain at all anymore. When that happens it’s pretty normal to just stop posting.

I just happened to do my semi-annual home SA using a cheap microscope and had swimmers.

Anyone have any questions about the rest of it you can PM me or post here and I’ll replay when I see it.

1 Like

I’d be curious to know what your actual count and motility is. You might have a sperm count of ~2 million motile or ~250 million motile and that’s a huge difference.

Some say things like staying open is all about overall health in general - but I find that very hard to believe because I am absolutely certain that I know of guys that certainly do not eat, drink, etc, well that are still open ~many years post reversal. Some of them can actually confirm their actual count and motility with fairly recent certified SA results, and others cannot.

I feel pretty confident saying that scientifically speaking, there is more going on with long term patency than meets the eye. There are so many things to consider - and genetics (which includes many things) could also be one of them.

I’m sure it’s a combination of things as to why I’m still open. It’s probably partly genetic and the quality of the repair done. I’m not really that healthy right now. Who knows. Psychologically for me knowing I’m open helps if for no other reason than I spent all that money on a reversal. SA’s are too damn expensive. I probably spent 2 grand on them on top of all the other money I wasted, several thousand I’m sure, trying to get well. F****g vasectomy, lol. What a waste of money.

I totally 100% agree with you I could have 3/4 paid for a brand new range rover to what it cost me, instead I gave that luxury to the bull shiting drs who done nothing but lie to me.

Alright, I’m done with anything remotely sounding like self pity. It tends to drag the whole board down and it’s counter productive. Just saying, SA’s are expensive. I would recommend to anyone who is curious after a reversal as to their patency to invest in a microscope. I think if your researched it you could probably at a reasonable cost buy something that would allow yout approximate your own SA numbers. There are microscopes that allow you to take pictures I believe fairly cheap and I think you can buy scientific slides with grids on them that would probably allow you to do some sort of count and estimation of the totals on your own based on numbers per square inch. % motility would probably be the hardest thing to count.

I still think it’s great to post this, for the long-timers, that there is still a chance to get to such a place. I consider myself one of the members of this unlucky group. I see many guys posting here for some weeks or months only and then move on, be it because they get better by themselves quickly, or after some sort of successful treatment or intervention. And that is good. It is good to move on with your life once you’re in a physical and mental state to do so. Nothing wrong with that. But it’s not that many long-timers who seem to be still active on the forum after years, searching for relief - especially for them it is important to see some sort of positive stories on the long run, and yours is definitely a good one to share and to give some hope. Thanks for that, @MikeO.