Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Reversal Decision Time

I shared my initial PVPS experience and results with non-invasive therapies in this thread.
My Experience, with list of non-invasive treatments

I was very hopeful I was putting all this behind me this last summer. I was nearly pain free. Then I had some flare ups and things have trended worse over the Fall and Winter. I had to start taking gabapentin again and the side effects are like a lobotomy. I can’t live like this anymore and I’ve decided a reversal is my best first surgical option. Experimenting with papaya seed powder really tipped the scales. I could feel my testicles and epididymis swell up and get painful as I stopped taking it. I think all the neuropathic issues were triggered by constant low grade pain and irritation in my scrotum. I wasted too much time thinking it was just a nerve issue and that denervation was my only option. If anyone wants to talk me back form the cliff I’d like to hear why.

I’ve had phone consults with Dr. Parekattil at the PUR Clinic and Dr. Burrows at the ICVR. The main differences I could discern are the following:

• PUR clinic is more pain oriented where ICVR is more strictly for reversals. If a reversal doesn’t help the PUR clinic will be more of a partner in further treatments. That’s not to say that ICVR ignores or is unaware of PVPS, its just not their main focus. On this point I lean towards PUR.

• Dr P. cautioned me that most reversals close up over time while Dr B. did not seem to think this was true. I can’t tell if this born out of studies of reversal or their own patient’s results. The question it begs in my mind is does one have a better procedure and hence outcome than the other? I lean towards ICVR here, since their claim to fame is getting those pipes open successfully again.

• At PUR for pain patients they only perform vas-vas reversal where at ICVR they check for sperm in the fluid and will perform a vas-epi if necessary. I’m torn here. A vas-epi sounds more complicated and risky for additional pain. But if I need to relieve the build up and a vas-epi is the only way around a blockage then so be it. Both said that at under 2 years out a blockage is highly unlikely so maybe its a moot point.

• ICVR is about 30% more expensive. But at this point I’d sell my soul. So I’m trying to not let that weigh on my decision.

• Last the PUR clinic uses robotic microsurgey for part of the procedure and ICVR does not. On this point I’m indifferent and have no reason to say one way is better.

I’d love to know if others considered these clinics, which they went with, and why?

I’m in Milwaukee WI and haven’t found anyone in driving distance specializing in reversal and PVPS. Does anyone know of any such doctors or clinics in this area? I tried contacting Dr. Douglas Schow of the Minnesota Men’s Health Center but it doesn’t seem to be open? The website phone number goes to something else. I thought there must someone in Chicago but I couldn’t dig up any leads. I had my original vasectomy at Froedtert hospital, so that’s clearly out. I’m not giving them any more money after what they put me through.

Here’s a urologic surgeon in Chicago who does reversals and works with men’s health. I almost chose him, but went to Dallas instead.

https://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/faculty-profiles/az/profile.html?xid=10530

Go with your gut feeling, we should have listened to it before vasectomy, wouldn’t be in this predicament. Is 30% worth it?

I agree 100% about going with your gut on the original vasectomy. I’m thinking of getting a tattoo that just says NO in big bold letters. It will remind not to agree to BS that other people want me to do.

But I am very torn between these 2 clinics. I am trying not to consider the cost difference. Right now my lizard brain is saying if it costs more it must be better. But that seems like flawed reasoning too.

If you think about this logically, the purpose of reversal is to attach 2 tubes back again. IMHO, whichever clinic you chose, you’ll have the best care there possibly is in the world. Just go with the gut feel and don’t over analyse it ( I know easier said than done, I’m an engineer too ).

Hi @WtfMyNuts

My reversal doctor was proficient in both vas to vas and vas to epi. He said he wont know if he has to do a vas to epi reversal untill he gets in there. I would make sure both places are prepared and have the experience to do either one. Maybe something to keep in mind. Ah I see you point about the vas to epi now. What does the other clinic do if they can’t do the vas to vas reversal? Just close you up?