Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Reversal 2 Year Update

Today is the 2 year anniversary of my reversal. I have had my share of ups and downs, but overall, I am feeling pretty good. Some things that (I think) have been the most helpful for me in my recovery are:

1. Positive mental attitude (thankful for the good days, but not devastated by setbacks. Progress, not perfection.)
  2. Exercise and stretching. I do mostly body weight interval training exercises, which incorporates some yoga. I also ride my bike, swim, run, and surf. I try to do at least a couple minutes of meditation each day. I have found that on some days when I’m uncomfortable, exercising actually breaks the pain cycle and helps me feel at least a little better.
  3. Hot tub: I usually sit in my tub anywhere from 5-30 minutes each day. It can also help me break the pain cycle.
  4. Pelvic PT. I tried 3 different therapists. I went to the third therapist for maybe a dozen sessions. In the end, I think it may have helped somewhat. I haven’t been in over 6 months.
  5. Supplements: turmeric/curcumin, alpha lipoic acid, men’s daily multi vitamin (It’s really tough to know how much a supplement is helping, but I have stayed with it for around 6 months now and plan on continuing. Seems like there should be at least some health benefits even if it isn’t dramatically reducing pain- can’t hurt.

I still have my moments where I feel uncomfortable for whatever reason. I try to keep positive that it will pass, and it usually does- sometimes quicker than others. I don’t come on this site much because I think reading a lot of negativity isn’t good for the mental aspect of healing and recovery. There have been a lot of times I have been on the forum compulsively reading, trying to find the solution for my situation, but I don’t think it exists online. I do appreciate the support network this site provides and am very thankful for the people who have replied to my posts in the past. If anyone ever has any questions for me, I’m happy to answer.

Take care guys!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this post. I can identify quite a bit with your experiences. What continues to surprise me is how much just “accepting” the pain when I have it, helps to make it dissipate, sometimes within seconds. It’s amazing how connected our minds are to our physical bodies.

@earthenjar Glad the post helped you. I agree that your state of mind can have a big impact on your physical state as well. It isn’t so much “mind over matter,” but when I’m uncomfortable, getting really upset or frustrated often makes things worse. I also do better if I do my best to let it go and trust that it will pass. Best of luck to you!

Definitely agree that getting anxious/frustrated/angry/despairing only makes it worse in my experience. Best of luck to you as well!

would love to talk

mklamut79@yahoo.com

if you are ok with it.

mike