Hello. Due to chronic, idiopathic testicular pain, I may be looking at an orchiectomy by this summer. So far it’s only been 3.5 months, and we are exhausting a handful more options but if they fail, I may opt for surgery. It’s debilitating and I’ve been basically bed bound for months. I am in pain sitting and with every single step.
So far I have tried and failed:
- 2 urologists
- Papaya seed powder
- Pelvic floor PT
My ultrasounds and urine analysis are normal.
I am still going to try:
- Longer pelvic PT (another 3-6 months)
- Chiropractor (only because we’re thinking this MAY be a bloodflow/alignment issue as my spermatic cord seems much fatter when I’m standing vs. lying down on my side. Also the tail of epididymis swells up at times but always recedes)
It’s also worth noting I had hydrocele surgery on this side in 2004 so it could be scar tissue.
I am heavily weighing my options. If I opt for surgery it will be only after 6-9 months of failed treatments. SO…
- Epididelectomy - Seems to be the most problematic. Almost a sure thing additional pain will come - testicle is still there and sperm is still produced, but nowhere to go without epididymis? Result pressure pain. No thanks.
- Microsurgical denervation of spermatic cord - Everything remains in place, but nerves in the cord are skeletonized. Supposedely an 85% success rate, but nerves grow back and the potential for pissed off nearby nerves creating referred pain scares me. No thanks. I’ve seen the horror stories here.
- Orchiectomy - Urologist says nothing wrong with the testicle so leave it in place, but this seems to actually be the least risky especially if they go in inguinally. A lot of men with testicular cancer go onto live a normal life with 1 testicle.
What has been the prognosis for those with orchiectomy? And how many opted for a prosthetic? I think I would just for sexual health and confidence reasons. Does it come with additional complications? Was your testosterone and sperm count normal?
I live 90 minutes from Dr. P and will be doing a consult with him at some point. He would do the surgery if I have it.