Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Nerve Scrambler (Calmare) Therapy

My son has been in chronic testicular pain after having testicular torsion surgery at age 15. He is now 17, and his story is on this forum. This summer we decided to try a non-invasive pain therapy called Nerve Scrambler Therapy. There is no Calmare machine here in North Carolina (except at a military hospital), so we decided to go to Richmond, Va., where there is a brand-new machine. My son was their first patient. To prepare for the therapy, my son had to totally get off of Lyrica. He had been taking 100 mg of Lyrica three times a day, and it took a month to titrate off of the medication. Also, for 36 hours prior to the first therapy, he had to be off of all other pain relieving medication except for advil or Tylenol (neither one helps him). His pain ramped up in the last two weeks of weaning off Lyrica. His pain levels had been steady at 5 out of 10 for months, and without Lyrica, the pain levels when back up to 6-7 out of 10. Two weeks ago we went to Richmond, and he tried three different sessions of Scrambler Therapy, and he did not feel any relief during the sessions or afterwards. As you can imagine, we were very disappointed that it didn’t work for him. It wasn’t too shocking given what a complicated case he has had with a total of 4 surgeries and several nerve blocks under his belt. We really wanted it to work. I do know that Scrambler Therapy has helped some men with testicular pain, so it is definitely worth a try. The cost was $250 per session, and BCBS of NC said that they considered it to be out of network and wouldn’t cover it. I then contacted his pain management doctor about titrating back up on the Lyrica. He needed to start out with 25 mg capsules. We ran out of those, so I spend the ENTIRE past week trying to get the doctor and her nurses to get the prescription called into the pharmacist, all to no avail. Unbelievable. I am more angry about this than I am about the failure of the Scrambler Therapy. He is also taking Nucynta for pain, and he has had to take that twice a day now that we are dead in the water waiting for the Lyrica. Thankfully we have an appointment on Monday with a PharmD doctor so hopefully we can get back on track. In the meantime my son is in a lot of pain and feeling very frustrated. It really shouldn’t be this difficult.

For tiltrating up or down all i do is pull apart capsule and mix it in a glass of water. Then if you want for example 50 percent you just tip half glass out and you got exact amount. Of coarse this can’t be done on slow release tablets.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I ran this idea by our pharmacist last week, and she didn’t recommend it. Thankfully we will get some help tomorrow and get back on track. It’s frustrating when something that should be simple turns into an ordeal.

sorry to hear about your son’s pain. Sounds like he is lucky to have you though.

1 Like