Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Going in for reversal. What is the consensus on clips removal?

Recently got a vasectomy (closed-ended) a few months ago and going in for reversal shortly.

I met with one of the top doctors in Canada who told me that clips aren’t always removed.

I always thought that the idea was to remove everything. Would this be an issue? If clips can’t be removed, would there be issues with leaving them for good?

Thanks

This is a great question, but I cannot give you a definitive answer.

A handful of some of the so called best pvps and/or fertility reversal surgeons out there are doing quite a few things differently. The hemoclips part alone is one of them things.

There is some truth in the idea that many reversal surgeons don’t know exactly what they are going to do until they crack you open and take a look. We have seen some of that play out in real time on this site and we’ve seen it more than once.

We have seen some other very interesting post/s related to the hemoclips reversal topic. I won’t get into details, but I can tell you were to look if you send me a PM.

I can hear the reasoning on both sides of the fence. I’m not sure if any of them are absolutly right or absolutely wrong. I have never seen any long term data sitting side by side to form such an opinion. I can think of potential pros and cons either way.

I have heard considerably more stories from men that had more less a full clean up of both ends of the vas deferens, but that doesn’t mean a whole lot. If I had an opinion based on what I know about, I feel confident saying that I would have some sample bias.

Guys like me just watch the scene and try to make some sense out of some things, try to learn more about it wherever I can, and so on.

Bottom line - ask the reversal surgeon you are considering all the right questions beforehand. You might consider getting some input from several of them. From there, you are going to have to make a judgement call. You are going to have to go with your gut. You have to live with the outcome of your potential reversal - nobody else.

Hope that helps

Hi marc292,

Would you be willing to share more of your story, for example when was your vasectomy and what symptoms have you had that prompted you to seek out a reversal?

Another thing I want you to be aware of @marc292

I’m not sure who is or how many VR surgeons are using the technique I am going to tell you about during a vas to vas reversal, but I know that many of them were using or still are using a tiny microsurgical metal tube to line up and/or connect the inner lumen with in the past.

What I am talking about comes up very little if at all in pain forums like this one. It’s such an untalked about and/or hidden topic, that I’m not even aware of what was done during either of my reversals, let alone anyone else’s.

Bottom line - I’m telling you this because I don’t want you or anyone else to automatically assume that you won’t have any metal in your scrotum post vas to vas reversal. I’m not sure how relevant this is to this topic and/or discussion, but you can’t ask all the right questions beforehand if you don’t know what to ask about.

Before he did my vr he said he would use a stent is this what you are referring to.

I’m not sure if a stent is or isn’t directly comparable to the tiny microsurgical metal tube I was talking about. They certainly sound like they could be comparable, but IDK.

I have read about stents being tried at some point in the past with the idea that it would help prevent scarring of the inner lumen - with the idea of better long term patency in mind, etc - but based on what I am aware of, it didn’t work, or something along those lines.

Mine didn’t work still sterile. However my reversal was not to become potent but for my own journey as you know

I can see the term stent and tiny microsurgical metal tube being slanged together as the same thing in conversation when in fact they may not be the exact same thing, may not be truly comparable, etc. IDK.