Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Epididymitis story.... again!

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking here for a little while and I first wanted to say that this forum has brought me a lot of hope in recent days as I barrel to what I think will be a diagnosis of PVPS.

My story…

I had a no-scalpel vasectomy on 1st Feb 2019 (I’m in the UK so this was on the NHS). The procedure itself went absolutely fine, no complications whatsoever (other than when the surgeon landed on a bit that wasn’t entirely numb!). I was extremely fastidious when it came to recovery, I laid up for 4 days, took Paracetamol and Ibuprofen every 2hrs for 4 full days, I iced, I wore tight underwear for 4 days… the works! Ironically I did all this because I was determined not to get PVPS!

Everything was fine bar a little soreness, I’ve had absolutely no problems or pain with erections and ejaculating however I’m now 5 weeks post-op and have the dreaded epididymitis. I have a mild feeling of pressure all day but my main issue is occasional sharp stabbing pain if I “catch” myself such as when sitting down, walking up the stairs or having sex in certain positions. My left hand testicle is significantly worse than my right, It’s enough that I’m constantly thinking about how I sit down, stand up, run etc.

My surgeon has been great, saw me quickly and on physical exam couldn’t feel any heamatoma’s, granuloma’s or other problems but did say my epidiymis is inflamed and has put me on 2 weeks of Cipro. However, 5 days in now and the pain and feeling of congestion is no better at all and I’m sure that the AB’s are not going to help.

After reading these forums, I’ve got fish oil and Papaya seed powder on the way and I’ll update this thread with how it affects my pain levels. Thankfully so far the pain is manageable but I definitely can’t stop thinking about my testicles like I used to. Reading these forums has been a lot of help and I can’t help but think 1 in 1000 might be a bit optimistic!

Thanks all,

Jay