Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Dr says too soon for congestion pain, so reversal won’t help

I have now heard from 3 different urologists (who treat both pain and fertility) that reversal will not help my pain because their is no way that congestion pain could start a month after vasectomy. It takes at least a year for the pressure to build to a level to cause congestion pain. So denervation is recommended instead.
My gut tells me this is false, what is everyone else’s experience here?

0 Likes

Tell the doctors, or uro’s you are seeing to site some published references as to how they are coming up with their diagnosis and/or conclusions.

I’ve posted the paperwork I received during my initial consultation to this site, and in the risks section it flat out says congestion usually takes 2-12 weeks to resolve itself (day one being the day you had the vas). The word “usually”, didn’t stick out to me way back then.

Do you suffer from congestion? That’s anyone’s guess. I’d like to say there’s usually some tell tale signs, but I don’t believe that’s always the case.

Assuming you have read many threads on this site, there are some conservative options that might be helpful in diagnosing your situation.

1 Like

If you’ve been in pain since the vas and it’s only been one month, I’d hold off on reversal for a while (and that’s coming from a guy who’s generally pro-reversal and got good results from it). Easy for me to say this as I’m not feeling your pain. One month is early, and I think a lot of guys do resolve. Reversal isn’t cheap and it’s no walk in the park. I was off work a week and on light duty (desk bound) for three more weeks.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t work, I’m just saying the risk/reward equation isn’t there right now in my book.

0 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to clarify, I am not just 1 month out. I have unfortunately been in pain for 7 months (Vasectomy in sept) and have been posting on this forum throughout. The Doctor’s comment was that since my pain started early on, within a month of vasectomy, that it could not be congestion.

0 Likes

I’m no doctor, but when you feel your epididymides, do they seem enlarged and firm compared to the fairly squishy things they are supposed to be? If so, I’d guess they’re probably full and that stretching of the tissue is causing some pain.

0 Likes

They are definitely larger and tender to the touch.

0 Likes

Sounds congestive to me.

Interestingly, over the years, I’ve been treated by 3 of the uros cited here often. One of them emphatically states congestion is not a pain generator. I don’t know how it couldn’t be, and his statements make me wonder about him.

In the end, back in 2005-06 before all these forums existing, a fellow PVPS sufferer in Ottawa ON told me “with PVPS there are no rules.” I think that pretty much says it all.

0 Likes

@raising4girls, I agree with the conclusion that with PVPS there are not rules. I tend to trust the Dr’s who share this viewpoint. The Dr’s that are making these absolute claims / diagnosis based on their 2-5 cases of experience scare me.

0 Likes

BTW @GoingNuts, the paperwork I referred to above can be found towards the beginning of the “thanks for the warnings” thread that’s near the top right now. It can also be found in the “proof doctors lie about the risks” thread which I haven’t seen come up in years. Use the search bar to find them threads if you can’t seem to find them.

I just reread my paperwork’s wording regarding congestion, and it doesn’t say “usually resolves itself” directly in the 2-12 weeks sentence. Directly afterwards it says, like granuloma, congestion “usually” resolves itself in time. It doesn’t define how long that may be, it just gives a vague timeframe in the previous sentence that the majority of people will likely assume is related, and accurate. Nowadays, I look at stuff like that as creative, manipulative, and deceptive writing.

Most people are unaware of how the medical system works (at minimum). What they can legally say and get away with, what they can’t, what they can do to you, and so on. I know I was completely unaware of how it all worked when I had the vas, although every alarm in my mind and body was going off telling me I’d just been had, and was making a huge mistake.

My alarms were going off even more so as I had already experienced a bout with testicular pain in the past. I really didn’t understand why my board certified urologist didn’t seem concerned about my outcome vs the average man, amongst other things that I found unbelievable regarding my paperwork, and verbal consultation.

My issues didn’t begin until a couple weeks into my recovery. And in my case, I ended up developing several of the risks that were sited in my paperwork, and some that weren’t.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in my opinion and experience. I don’t see how the Drs can claim to know what is possible or impossible with such a rare condition, or how long it takes congestion pain to manifest in every person. My experience was pain during and immediately after the vasectomy, then continuing pain after that for a year until I got a reversal. Could have been the initial pain was from damage done during the procedure and later turned to congestion pain, I couldn’t say. Before the reversal it certainly seemed like congestion to me - swolen and sore epi, etc., and many of the symptoms described here and elsewhere as congestion. It has been over a year since the reversal and I am feeling much better. My original uro told me that people with PVPS had really severe debilitating pain and I didn’t fit that description so he said he didn’t recommend reversal. He just kept telling me to take ibuprophen. After that I found multiple docs who did recommend reversal for me, and it pretty much saved my life in retrospect.

From my experience the statement that it takes at least a year to build congestion pain is BS. At a minimum my experience proves that you can have pain starting the day of the vasectomy that persists and is consistent with congestion pain based on symptoms, and reversal can reduce that pain over time after the reversal.

Since my reversal I have been on a slow path of improvement… still getting better week by week. I’m probably 80-90% recovered now.

You need to decide for yourself what is best for you in your situation, but my thinking was that reversal just puts things back closer to the natural state without doing permanent damage. You can always go for denervation later if a reversal doesn’t help, but denervation can’t be reversed if it causes you more problems than you already have.

1 Like