Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy

My uro wants to give it six more months to see if the orchiectomy has made a difference or not, he wants me to be referred for CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) while I wait.

I feel it’s impossible to change ones behavior from feeling pain, a patient can’t help but analyse pain, you just want the pain to stop.

I already help myself manage the pain, help myself by behaving in ways that help me cope. I try and get myself interested in other things, but because the pain interferes with everything I do from the moment I get dressed in the mornings, what else can I do?

I wish I could give my pain to the people that suggest these things, then see how they cope with disabling pain everyday.

I have done CBT before. I have also studied Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, which is a subset of CBT. ACT seems more beneficial for chronic pain sufferers. If everything else has failed, I figure it doesn’t hurt to try it. Unlike other options, CBT and ACT are less likely to have major side effects.

He wants me to wait six more months to see if the orchiectomy has worked or not, and if I am still in pain, then we will discuss what else can be done regarding another operation.

He has advised CBT to help me get through the next six months, but I’m going to need more than CBT to hep me though.

Chip,

I’m not sure it will help but it probably won’t hurt if you are getting it covered by insurance other than the time you spend.

Centralized pain can be hard to turn off. I had lingering pain for a long time after my reversal and it turned off like a switch went off when I took a medication to help me lose weight. There was some research on the internet that it may have had that property.

I’m not a doctor and I can’t really recommend you try anything but wanted you to know that it’s possible to turn the pain spigot off. It’s just a little harder when you’ve been in pain for a long time

1 Like