Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Another Vas and Reversal Journey

Hello All,

I’ve posted a handful of times and been reading posts since last July, but this is my first thread and just want to relay my experience and add my story to the record.

Got my Vasectomy at the end of June ‘19. No serious, constant pain really to speak of(feel terrible by the way for all that are experiencing chronic, terrible pain, I really do). I had some general discomfort after the procedure. There were also bursts of intense sharp pains, but I have kidney stones, so I’m pretty good managing and dealing with pain. For the most part I consider myself fortunate not to be in the pain some of you describe.

Over the next few months, I started to notice some issues. Orgasms were way different. Basically it feels like the connection to my brain is gone. When I orgasm all of the physical feeling and motion in the groin is present. No change there. Problem is there is zero felling in the brain. No euphoric sensations, nada. Certainly feels as if the connection with the brain was severed during the vas. Additionally erections are much tougher to sustain and achieve. Like I need to be totally focused on sex and what is happening. This was never the case before. Probably because of this, erections never seemed as firm. Sex before orgasm is the same. Very enjoyable and feels the same. Its just the orgasm that is totally different. Been a very sexual person my whole life so this has been a bit hard on me.

My initial urologist, who performed the vas dismissed me, throwing out stats that complications are “rare”. He even printed out recent stats and guidelines they follow when discussing the potential procedure with patients. Like they are robots and just follow what they are told, not listening to their patients. He said I should try TRT. This infuriated me. Before vas I had never had sexual issues. Now, even though nothing changes with vas (he said this multiple times, even right before the procedure), I am having sexual issues? The point of the vasectomy was not for me to be on drugs the rest of my life. It was because I have two kids, didn’t want more and I didn’t want my wife taking birth control for the next 30 years of her life. I told that Urologist in front of his PA that he should tell his patients that pain and sexual issues are a real possibility and that things DO change. Don’t tell patients “everything will be the same” or “There will be no difference” even if that is the case MOST of the time. If you are a doctor how can you just gloss over the fact that many people have issues? You should AT LEAST tell them there is a possibility there may be complications. Then let them decide for themselves with all the information. Don’t be so cocky and confident that you don’t even mention these things. I was pretty angry with him and no longer see him. How could I when the trust is absolutely gone.

Aside from the sexual issues, about 2 months ago I started to get pain on my left side when getting aroused. Not only pain, but during arousal, it would interfere with any attempts at sex. This was about 5 months post vas. Up to this point I had been thinking I could live with the vas. Side effects were mostly sexual and I had been dealing with them as best I could. I can’t understand why so long after the initial vas I was getting pain. Would there be more pain down the road? Other issues that come up? Epididymis blowout? Granuloma? Did I already have some of these issues? Now with the new pain, at this point I started to consider the reversal and seek out options for this. In my mind I kept thinking that if I don’t get the reversal I’ll always wonder, should I have got it? Would things have been better? Did waiting too long ruin my chances of a clean vas to vas reversal?

So I started to do some research on reversal doctors in my area. I found a seemingly very competent Dr. who works from the University of Miami. He seems to be an expert in his field and could be considered an authority on fertility and male sexual issues. I scheduled the reversal for mid March and waited for the day to come. Last week they called me and said they had a cancellation and so I got to do the reversal in January. So I took the plunge and went for it. Hoping to put this chapter in my life behind me and undo what had been done. Maybe I could at least put everyhting back the way it was and let the body heal on it’s own. The body is an amazing organism and I’d rather take my chances with it figuring things out as opposed to more doctors telling me this and that.

Yesterday I started my post reversal journey. It’s early but I feel good so far and have no pain from the procedure. I don’t know if they gave me some extended pain reliever from the procedure itself, but I’m in no pain and have not taken any pain meds yet.

I’ll update as the recovery continues as I think there are lots of men who come to this board seeking advice, even if they don’t post themselves. To those in severe daily pain, I feel for you and hope you can find ways to diminish it and return to a life with little to no pain.

4 Likes

Keep us posted with your progress, rest a lot and don’t over do it.

1 Like

Good luck and thank you for posting! I hope you continue to be pain-free.

1 Like

@ThunderTrain Thank for sharing !

I am in the same situation as you, did VAS august 2019 and i am sceduled for REVERSAL mid march 2020. I have exactly same issue as you.

Please update us ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to give a quick update for anyone following along.

Had a follow up with the doc today. He said everything is healing good. There is a small bit of bruising, not much swelling and obviously the incisions are still healing, but to this point I’ve had zero pain from the procedure. Doc was amazed when I told him I’ve had no paid, almost did not believe me. Have not taken any pain meds.

He said initially the left side had a lot of scar tissues that had to be removed, but the pain I had pre-reversal from arousal is gone, probably from the scar tissue. I’m amazed you can cut and sew things back up and not have pain. The incisions are decently large too, maybe an inch and a half each. At this point less pain than the original vasectomy.

Still another week before I can resume activity and he said 2 weeks before sex, so still a ways off there. I’ll continue to update as I go.

2 Likes

Nice great to hear, keep us posted and cant wait to see how it goes and how you feel once you become active (sexually). So sad that so many of us are told that its all in our head…

Day 29 Post Reversal

Hey everyone, just wanted to post an update on my reversal progress. Feeling pretty good just about a month out from the reversal. Very little pain up to this point. Obviously some discomfort in the groin when I shift my sack or move awkwardly, but only maybe one brief instance of sharp pain.

The incisions are healed up very nicely. Almost can’t even tell they are there at this point. There is a bit of tenderness and some lumpiness underneath the incision, but it hardly bothers me and I don’t poke at or inspect it so as not to irritate it. Considering I’m only a month out I would imagine this would improve.

Was cleared for sex last week and am happy to report all is well on this front. Erections are like before, rock hard, not rubbery. Also notice that arousal is pretty much same as before as well in that I don’t have to concentrate hard to maintain the erection, it lasts. Orgasms are improved and hopefully with time will also increase intensity. That first ejaculation after 8 months of blocked vas was such a huge relief. Like getting 8 months of pent up aggression out. Felt great. Was a bit nervous it would hurt, but I ran into no issues and have had no pain or side effects from ejaculation. Sex has been good, the wife and I celebrated out 7 year anniversary this past weekend and I didnt think of the vas or reversal much at all.

Started to run and increase exercise intensity this week. Doctor initially said two weeks, but I pushed it to 4 weeks. I just wanted to be absolutely sure the body was ready for all the jostling from running and working out. Also I kinda felt my body wasn’t ready at two weeks. Listen to your body when it comes to things like recovery and take it slow.

Overall very happy with the reversal. I wish i would have done It sooner, but not sure the doctor would have done it less than 6 months removed from initial vasectomy. For me I knew this was the route i needed to go and so far my intuitions are confirmed.

Hope those on here are continuing to make progress towards recovery and being pain free. My thoughts are with you guys, don’t give up and go with your gut. Feel free to reach out if you have questions.

3 Likes

I know exactly what you mean in regard to orgasms after vasectomy. I was also in a lot of pain, but I felt like the whole orgasm was in my penis, not in my testicles, brain, or body. Also, there felt like there was no buildup to the orgasm: it just would kind of happen, instead of a gradual ramp that I assume has something to do with singles to the brain and emission of sperm.

I’ve described full body/brain-gasims before and a lot of people laugh and ask wtf, but clearly they’re missing out, because post vas orgasms sucked, never mind the pain.

I’m not 100% yet, but 6 weeks post reversal I’m getting much closer to where I was pre reversal.

Best of luck on your recovery.

1 Like

Glad to hear of your recoveries tyler what led you to reversal? Was it congested related or other symptoms.

1 Like

Thank you. I can’t be sure. My pain was always worse with ejaculation, which seemed to point toward conjestion, but that seemed to start to get a bit better as the months went by and what I presume was nerve pain would shoot up my groin.

I went with a reversal because it seemed that it was the most conservative, nondestructive, first option, and all other options would still remain if it didn’t work.

I hear you similar with me mostly congestive but some nerve or vas sorr pain. Leading me to reversal in a few weeks. Now the question remains both sides vs just the one that is the problem (left) am pretty certain both sides. Put me back physiologically so I can start the healing process. Was urs both sides reversed?

This is awesome and happy to hear the great progress all the best and gives hope to guys the pre reversal guys

Yes, both sides were reversed.

That’s fantastic, ThunderTrain! I’m so glad to hear things are going so well. Thank you for providing updates!

Thanks Tyler. I’ve read about your journey as well. Seems not too many have been as detailed as we have with the changes in orgasm, but that is understandable considering so many more are dealing with larger issues of chronic pain.

So far things related to sex have improved since reversal and hopefully they continue to get better as the body goes back it’s original state.

I hope you continue to improve post reversal and your pain goes away entirely. Keep us posted on your progress.

1 Like

Thanks BB, I’ll continue to provide updates as I go, but at this point I’m feeling good and hope to put this all behind me before long.

Good luck if you decide to go with the reversal!

Thank you, you too. I plan to post a detailed account of my story from start to present after I have a better idea where I stand. I’ll do my sperm count in a few weeks, maybe that’ll be a good time. I also got a new microscope so I want to keep track at home. It won’t have a means of keeping count, but I’ll be able to note presence and motility to some extent.

1 Like

I’ve described full body/brain-gasims before and a lot of people laugh and ask wtf, but clearly they’re missing out, because post vas orgasms sucked, never mind the pain.

I found an interesting way of describing the post-vasectomy orgasm sensation some of us experience here:

I am a medical professional and I attribute these poor orgasms to the surgeon damaging the sympathetic nerves along the vas. The best way I can explain it is, compare it to parasympathetic denervation of the parotid and submandibular glands. You can still taste a sour taste but you lost the contraction of those glands’ ducts. Sure, you can still taste sour, BUT the whole experience has changed. Imagine tasting the lemon but the floor of your mouth no longer tightens, puckers, etc. It’s a terrible thing. Yes, you can orgasm but the whole experience has changed for the worse. Ejaculation is a sympathetic response, the sympathetic nerves that innervate the vas are no longer connected. The vas doesn’t contract. It’s terrible. Trust me, worst mistake of my life.

Maybe it’s a subset of the population that have those kind of orgasms and they make up most of the people that have vasectomies affect their orgasms? Another hypothesis that we’ll never be able to test. Whatever the cause, the reversal certainly seems to have helped. The big question now is, how?

1 Like

The whole comment section there is interesting. Lots of examples of Dr. Turek giving chipper responses that treat one man after another as though they were describing something he has never heard of before, or offering empty assurances that everything is going to work out in the end.

1 Like