Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

7+ months post reversal, pain free

Hey, guys. I know that a few of you have been asking about my reversal with Dr. Jarvi at Mt. Sinai in Toronto and I apologize that I’ve been slow to update you. I was intending to have posted this update in November, but between my wife’s end of semester exams and other reports all coming due at the same time (which puts a bigger strain on the family schedule than I would have believed!), and basically everybody in the family getting sick in the beginning of December followed by a crush of family visits in late December, the last two months have really gotten away from me.

At any rate, I’m now +7 months post reversal. You can click my profile to see the past posts I’ve made in this forum, but the summary is that my original urologist gave me the run-around for months until I finally got a referral to another urologist who was able to give me an unbiased assessment. He immediately diagnosed me with PVPS and referred me to Dr. Jarvi in Toronto.

After the initial consultation with Dr. Jarvi in which he offered me a variety of interventions (both surgical and non surgical), we agreed that the best next step would be a reversal. We straight-up removed part of the vas on the right side, and reconnected the vas on the left side.

The first 10-12 days after surgery were fine, but then the pain suddenly ramped up to about as bad as it has ever been (which Dr. Jarvi warned usually happens while the body heals after this kind of surgery.) If I remember correctly, the pain started to really come back down within a 7-10 days after that and by 2.5 to 3 months post-surgery I was mostly pain free except for a steady, distracting ache in the testes. Sitting for prolonged periods was still a little bit uncomfortable (lots of shifting around), but not at all unbearable.

At this point, I had my 3-month post-op telephone interview with Dr. Jarvi where we talked about my progress. While on the whole Iwas pretty satisfied with the results, I was still disappointed that I hadn’t made a fuller recovery. Dr. Jarvi told me then something which I don’t believe he had yet mentioned at all: I should continue to improve up to a full 6 months post surgery.

And he was right. I continued to get better and better, and I’m at the point now where I have no pain or discomfort at all during the day. Sex is almost entirely pain free, and the only thing that bothers me is when the wife rides on top for too long – something about sustained, strong pressure on the groin / lowest portion of the abdomen still sometimes causes me a little bit groin pain. I also still sometimes get a little bit of groin pain if I’ve done a full day of really heavy lifting (I deliver mattresses, boxsprings, and mechanical beds). But even that pain doesn’t put me out of action – it’s uncomfortable, but it’s not enough to actually stop me from doing anything.

At my 3-month post-surgery interview with Dr. Jarvi he felt that my progress was enough to declare me a success – apparently I’m one of the lucky guys who make an excellent recovery – but at 7+ months post-surgery I’m virtually pain free.

The only thing that I feel like I can’t do is running/jogging or anything that requires jumping or sustaining hard landings/impact. I never much liked running before, and I still don’t like it now, so I don’t think I’m missing anything, but all things considered I’m virtually 100% back to where I was before the vasectomy. Since the vasectomy the wife got her tubes tied, so I haven’t tested to see if I’m firing live rounds again.

I’m very happy to report that I’m feeling great and that Dr. Jarvi helped me achieve essentially a full recovery. I don’t know that any other doctor couldn’t have done the same, but credit where credit is due, right? I also don’t know that a reversal like what I had will work for every other guy, but at least for me it was a success.

Thanks to those who helped me during the last year :slight_smile:

1 Like

James,

Did you had to make any diet changes in these past 7+ months ? Some reversal surgeons in the US recommend to avoid caffeine, nicotine, sugars etc. Also did Dr.Jarvi recommend any supplements during your recovery period ?

Thanks for updating us on your progress.

Dr. Jarvi didn’t mention diet at all. I’m gluten free, but that’s because it makes me sick. I don’t know if that has anything to do with my recovery. Dr. Jarvi didn’t recommend any supplements. They gave me a scrip for inflammation, but it made me really tired so I switched to Aleve+Tylenol and or worked just as well.

Hi @NorthernFellow , why Jarvi removed part of the right vas? And why he only reconnected the left side?

Thank you,

Dr. Jarvi’s preference seems to always be to make the most conservative choice when possible. Meeting with him was like being on a very fast moving assembly line. Everything that needed to be done got done, but man… we were moving so fast I didn’t have a lot of time to pick his brain over every decision we made. The way he put it, he preferred to put things back together where possible, but because the right side was giving me the absolute worst of the pain, that’s where he did the most work. I couldn’t honestly say why he didn’t remove the vas on the left side, but in terms of final outcome the left side gives me absolutely no trouble anymore, and the right side still gives me some discomfort. Of course, I also had a varicocele (varicose vein in the scrotum) on the right side, so he might have chosen to remove the vas on the right to avoid fighting with that mess. Sorry I don’t have a better answer – honestly the whole process was so fast that I sometimes felt more like a spectator than a participant lol

1 Like

Do you know if he removed the epidydimis as well or just a portion of the vas?
Sorry about the inquiry, but a Dr. told me that he would do something like that…

Only a portion of the vas.

1 Like

Remarkable recovery @NorthernFellow. All best mate