Donate

Solution for Pelvic pain

Hi guys. I don’t post a lot, but I have finally found something that actually helps me. Quick recap, vasectomy 3 years ago, reversal almost 1 year ago. Significant increase in pelvic and ass pain after reversal. SA good, so not congestion. Tried many meds, vitamin etc. No relief. After seeing many guys talk about pelvic floor PT, I started looking into that path. Unfortunately, no pelvic floor PT within 100 miles of where I live. Instead I started to research pelvic pain and found an incredibly helpful and instructive book:. Pelvic pain, the ultimate cock block. A no bullshit guide to help you navigate through pelvic pain. By Dr. Susie Gronski. It just came out in 2017, but it is great. As you can see from the title, it is written for men. Easy to read and understand and gives non medicine solutions that have helped me. For those of you new to this concept of pelvic pain, here is a truncated list of what pelvic pain “feels” like according to her book:
Groin pain
Butt pain
Burning or sharp pain at the tip or base of penis
Pain during or after ejaculation
Pain during urination
Ache in rectum
Feeling pressure in the rectum
Pain while sitting
Abdominal pain
Testicle pain
Pain between the scrotum and anus
Lower back pain
Pain during sex

She walks you through the anatomy of the pelvic floor. Causes of pelvic pain, she doesn’t specifically identity vasectomy, although #1 is pelvic surgery. She also has a very interesting chapter on your body on your mind. Basically how you can get in this negative feedback loop, have pain and feel helpless, even if the surrounding tissue has healed. Then she goes through how to train your brain to overcome the pain, when you need to take action and how to treat pelvic pain.

Hope this helps others as it has helped me. I purchased the Kindle version for like 10 bucks. Because it was so new, it wasn’t at any of our local libraries.

so where are you now with your pain and symptoms?

Got the book a month ago and since, I have probably only 5-10 percent of the pain from before. Most importantly, I have hope that I can get rid of it completely with time. Hope I feel the same in 6 months!

Bought it and skimmed it.

I’ll say that it’s a good distillation of pelvic floor issues, but doesn’t really contain anything you can’t find on the internet for free. Basically, relax and massage and think positive.

My P.T. shared this and I listened to the author’s podcast at Twoknowbodies from their November 8 podcast and it is a good listen. Dr. Susie Gronski is easy going and light hearted and is easy to listen to in this interview. She promotes her new book listed here by the OP. It is a good resource for us as it is Male specific. My Pelvic Floor P.T. and I have discussed how many men have had vasectomies and have pelvic floor issues, but just live with it. After listening to the podcast I feel pretty fortunate that I don’t suffer from the more severe symptoms as some men do. I just have the damn pain that doesn’t go away, but everything works thankfully. Speaking from my own experiences I am certain that men with auto-immune issues that suffer from chronic pain should also not get vasectomies. Here is a link to the podcast.

I also want to add that the pain that is blamed on the Prostate could be or probably is a Pelvic Floor issue and the prostate is just a symptom and not the cause like Urologists would like us to believe. So they press on our prostates and we say it hurts so it is automatically a “prostate issue”. Maybe our prostates hurt because they are pressing hard on them. It is also only natural to tense up which doesn’t help things. Modern medicine/urology is so clueless yet here they are dolling out unneeded prescriptions causing other issues. Thankfully there are open minded folks like Pelvic Floor P.T.'s that understand the situation and are trying to help us.

Interstitial cystitis is also often misdiagnosed as prostatitis and it’s a common symptoms amongst the chronic pain group.

She actually does a week long course to help people learn how to manage pelvic pain. It’s at her clinic in Asheville, NC. Asheville’s gorgeous and I’ve thought about taking a week long vacation there and going to her clinic. However, I’m not sure it would benefit me at this point.

I thought I might have interstitial cystitis but once I got reversed I was fine. I also take baclofen at night and it calms down some spasticity I had a night. I would not be alive I think if I had not gotten reversed. That scar tissue was causing me immense pain and I remember feeling like I had a UTI right prior to surgery. It went away. To sum it up, yes pelvic floor dysfunction can cause symptoms that feel like prostatitis, IF, UTIs, however, I think reversal somehow helps some guys too .

@bakit, can you please share what you are doing so that your pelvic pain is only at 5-10% level from before? Massage, exercise, stretching, internal manipulation, meditation?

Most of my pain was on the right side of my ass hole. I had tried massaging the outside, stretches etc and it would help some. However, after reading the book, she talks about internal massage…like stick your finger in your ass, find the tensed muscle and rub or put pressure on it. Pre-vas, or reversal there’s no way in hell I would even consider this. However after a year of pain, I figured what did I have to lose. For me, the pain went away immediately, for a few hours. I also work/worked on relaxation techniques and focusing on not tensing up. They sell a tool by therawand that she and other massage PT’s recommend. Kind of looks like a sex toy, but it isn’t. It makes things a lot easier. Over time the pain has gone down significantly. Don’t mean to be gross, but it is what has worked for me.

My area of pain is the upper perineum area and having the PT release the trigger points in the muscles in that area works best for me. I let the P.T. do the internal massage, that is something I don’t feel comfortable doing myself. The inside of my thighs get tight which causes the groin area to get tight. Areas on my buttocks become very sensitive as well which she says is actually part of the pelvic floor. Lower abdominal muscles, muscles in the legs, it’s all connected to the pelvic floor muscles.

One thing about Pelvic Floor P.T. You cannot go to a few sessions, few months, etc. and if there is no improvement get discouraged and stop. The pelvic floor is an area that takes a long time to heal. My P.T. has said that typically it is a year of treatment sometimes 2 years. At this point I fully expect to be treated for at least another year and a half. I hope to become completely pain free, but if not I am to the point where the pain is at least tolerable. Compared to 4 months ago I’m doing way better. Also, make sure to get plenty of exercise. Go walk, hike, or whatever. Sitting to much contributes to the pain.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the pelvic floor PT, inluding internal massage for six months. It did help me. I did get therawand but used it only once, bit embarassing to use it. But I will try to get on a schedule with it. Also consciously trying to relax pelvic floof when I become tense helps. Maybe if I completely solve my pelvic floor problem I would not be thinking about reversal any more. Maybe in my case prostate problems and initial vas pain triggered pelvic and psychosomatic pain that still did not resolve enough. I have signifficant pain in my right buttock and thigh. I think that I also may have some underlying congestive pain. Maybe this congestive pain is preventing pelvic floor to completely relax and heal, who knows. I should be happy that my pain is level 3 and less while year ago it was 4-6 and sometimes more - Tramadol helped during those times. And yes, we need to walk, hike, exercise and sit less.

I’ve used the Therawand too. It was super embarrassing when the PT showed me out to use it, but I was, and still am, willing to do anything to help with the pain. It definitely makes it easier to hit some of the internal trigger points.