Donate

Post Vasectomy Pain Forum

Reversal with Dr. Marks tomorrow morning, 15 years post vasectomy

My 6 weeks was 18.3 mil/ml, 63% motility. I was taking NSAIDS and still do, they suppose to help with recovery and healing. Many men mention marked improvements after taking them.

I just had my reversal two days ago. Had to fly 4 hours to another state, in the way back had to fly 4 hours +, and drive on deep snow storm for 1 hour, at night and alone. It was tough but I made it home. Now at home just waiting. I don’t feel worse or better than before. Feel very light pain when moving, almost nothing. Let’s see how things go.

@SomeGreyBIoke, I had been on meloxicam since reversal. Apparently it wasn’t doing the job, or I was pushing too hard causing swelling. Hopefully the steroid will open things up more. I am on a 30 day step down dose.

@daniel, if you were like me, you might feel pretty good throughout the healing process. But they really stressed near constant icing the first week or so along with very limited activity regardless of how I was feeling. Everyone seems to have a unique experience.

Where did you have yours done?

Mine was done in New Braunfels, TX. They asked me if I wanted Valium to relax, I said no. Then I took the local anesthesia and did it. After the surgery around 08:00 am. I went back to hotel and relaxed on bed till around 06:00 pm. Having only, lots of water. I never put ice or took the ibuprofen. I avoid drugs as much as I can in my life. I feel great so far. I went out for dinner and groceries. Walked slowly and carefully. Next day I relaxed at the hotel again till 02 pm and then can back. I was lucky to be able to change my seat on the plane to one close to the emergency exit. It has a lot more room for the legs. I don’t feel better or worse than pre reversal. But I hope to feeel positive effects in future. It’s too soon to say anything.

@InForSomeChop, great progress so far and thanks for providing the updates.

Random question on the reversal: Did you notice that your balls hang higher or differently since the reversal, or pretty much the same as before?

I have a microscope, and remeber seeing very little around 4 weeks time. Then at 6 weeks there were 100’s more.

@worship01, the way my balls hang is another change I hadn’t mentioned before. The vas-to-vas side has dropped, but not quite as low as normal. The vas-to-epi side is still quite high. We discussed this when reviewing my lab results and they said it is possible the vas-to-epi side has internal inflammation and is still recovering from the more invasive procedure, causing the body to keep it higher. The steroid will more aggressively combat inflammation. I was talking to my wife the other day about the high testicle, wondering if he maybe tacked it up there when he put it back in the sac. She reminded me we asked him about having to make any changes to accommodate the epi connection and he said no. In the pre-surgery consult he said he rarely needs to adjust things due to botched vasectomy, such as prior cutting too close to the epi tail. But when faced with this he “changes the geometry” internally to make the connection. Did not need to do that in my case on either side. We will see what happens over the course of the month with the steroid boost and more healing time. I am also going back to wearing the jock strap over my underwear and avoiding heavier activities which I had resumed, like firewood, snow removal, moving bags of pellets for the pellet stove, etc.

To be clear, the changes I am making are solely based on the lab results, not because I am feeling complications or feeling bad. Just trying to minimize any chance of scarring over. I know it could happen anytime, but now is the most likely time for it while things are still healing in there.

@InForSomeChop, thanks for the excellent answer I appreciate the details. Stay nice and warm up there in Maine! My brother in law lives up there and have visited a few times in Portland area.

Thank you @InForSomeChop for sharing your saga. So glad you had good results with your reversal.
Unfortunately I did not have the same results. Mine was done just 8 months after the vas- 15 years would be long time to hold out. I didn’t know a “blown out” epididymis was a thing- ouch!

Surgeon did find lots of granulation tissue when he did my reversal. The other thing that I noted afterward is a lot of bruising (up to my navel) and that the “dissolvable” sutures took over two months to dissolve afterward.

Having suffered through this for just a year, I can empathize with the tears of joy- and hope to find similar relief one day. Cheers!