Donate

Pre-reversal and Reversal recovery tips

I’m scheduled with Dr. Marks. Please post any tips that you have for what I should do, not do, eat, not eat, take, not take prior to the surgery, and then what I can do afterwards to make it less painful, heal faster, reduce pain effectively, etc.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

No blood thinners of any kind for a week prior. Ice per his schedule afterwards. Don’t do anything but rest and ice for at least 2 weeks afterwards. Not one thing. No lifting or strenuous exercise for 6 weeks. Eat well and take his suggested supplements afterwards.

Make sure you get the wheelchair as you move through the airport. Off your feet and ice for the first few weeks. Expect some swelling and expect to not ejaculate for about 2 weeks

My doc told me to ejaculate as much as possible afterwards. I thought he was talking like the first few weeks, but guys here have done that schedule for as much as 2 years. Can you ask him how long you should have frequent ejaculations?

Assuming things haven’t changed much, a nurse from ICVR will contact you approximately a week, or two prior to your surgery. You will get a list, of what to do, and not to do. If your concerns aren’t on the list, you can ask them directly, or via email.

If I had anything to add beyond their list, get on a pre surgery regiment of vitamin A, and C. I can’t remember what my daily dosage was, but it was high. A simple Google search will find that. I discussed this with ICVR, and it wasn’t a problem. I continued to take the regiment for 2-3 weeks after my surgery as well.

@jsh sh I’m going for a reversal in about a month too.

All I’ve been told is no NSAID’s for about a week and no food after midnight the night before.

I’m also going to refrain from ejaculating or doing anything strenuous for a couple days beforehand. Hopefully that will reduce inflammation pre surgery and make things easier to work on down there. But that’s just my .02 and it has probably no basis in medicine or science, so who knows.

I’m getting my affairs in order before I go in (shit, it sounds like I’m being executed or something) anything that needs fixing around the house or any heavy things that need to be moved are going to be done so my wife doesn’t have to.

My plan after surgery is to lay in bed for a week minimum, play Xbox, smoke medicinal marijuana and hope that this PVPS nightmare is over.

Good luck man.

@vasregret I hear you!

Another question I have is for the journey home. I will have a long day of traveling ahead. The comment about the wheelchair is noted. Any other suggestions for what to wear, how to ice, sit, etc?

Thanks guys!

Dr Jarvi’s assistant told me to bring 3 pillows, I think she said one between the knees and two for laying on, and try to lay down in the backseat of the car if you can.

Oh yeah, and sweatpants.

@vasregret, How long is your ride? I would stay at the closest hotel for at least one night, possibly two after the procedure so you can start to heal before hitting the road. I stayed two nights I believe and then flew cross country the next day. I brougth ziploc bags that I used to put ice in for the flight home. You have to keep your self in ice for the trip is all.

I’m only about 1.5 hours outside of Toronto, but if we’re out late and get stuck in rush hour traffic, it could easily be 3-4 hours.

The anesthesiologist wants to do general anesthetic and a local anesthetic for post-op pain reduction, so I’m hoping that by the time I get home I’ll still be ‘frozen.’

I guess I’ll just lay back with some ice and hope for the best.

It’s less about pain and more about minimizing jostling while your tissues begin the process of knitting back together. I went from the OR to a nearby hotel via a limo. I was immediately in my room icing. I was there all night. Then I was there the entire next day and then the following morning a limo to the airport and the flight home. The plane ride was the worst part.

If you are 1.5 hours away you’ll be fine. I would laydown in the back seat and do the on and off icing. Just make sure your wife drives gentle and you’ll be fine.

@MikeO i have the entire next day to rest, so hopefully that helps.

@jsh my advice is portable ice packs 3/4 of them for travel. You buy them at chemist when needed just smash ice pack as directed immediate ice. In saying that my trip home was a disaster i had everything organised but it all went to shit. But i was on my own with huge travel arangements to get home.

Ice Ice Ice. When in doubt- ice. Thats most important first few days. Doc Marks will make a personal visit to your hotel room day after so thats a nice gesture to look forward to. After doc Marks visit my wife drove me home. 6 hour trip back to san bernardino. Iced the entire way. Had a huge ice chest filled with multiple bags of ice.

@Thissucks what is your logistics strategy for ice? Bags with cubes, crushed, re-usable packs, sitting, on top, surrounding, etc?

Crushed definitely. In Large ziplog bags. I surrounded with three. One below in between thighs. One to the right sitting on top of right side. One on left. Peas thaw out to quick and are not good first few days. Theyre fine later but first few days you should have the real deal. The key is having a large ice chest to keep the ice in so it doesnt melt too much when traveling. That is if you have a long drive home.

@Thissucks I’ll have flights…

@jsh, I had flights when I flew to ICVR, but I had my wife to. She was my handy ice getter in hotels, airports, etc.

I wore two pairs of supportive boxer briefs post reversal, and put an ice bag on each side in-between my layers of boxers when I flew back home. I was using one gallon ziplock bags for my ice, and had it double bagged.

When you leave your surgery, you will be prepped with ice something like I’m describing above. Seems ICVR sent me out the door with double bagged, one gallon ziplocks of ice, etc.

I wore sweat pants, and flip flops while I was there, on my flights home, and for several weeks afterward.

I rode the handicap buggy’s to my gates in the airport.

Glad my reversal days are over with :wink:

Good luck

If you have flights, call your airline and tell them you need a bulkhead (seat in the front) aisle seat due to a medical condition. They have to say yes. This will give you more space and make it a more comfortable flight.

Get a good laptop desk you can use while lying mostly down.

appreciate the tips guys