Donate

Only 7 days post but horrendous from beginning to end

Hi from the UK. Currently on a ward with a split wound and a huge testicle with a huge hematoma.

I’m 41 4 kids, wife has had horrendous pregnancys, caused a deadbedroom for a long time…
Vasectomy was going to help her pregnancy anxiety )we’d worked through the rest and life has been good)

I had alot of trepidation as at 20 I had bouts of hospitalisation for epidymiitis over a Year.

I was referred by my gp to a local consultant at a private hospital (for Americans we do have a private system aswell as the NHS) sometimes the NHS will fund a procedure at a private hospital… For cost or waiting times.

Foolishly I believed this consultant urologist that history of reccurent epididymitis would not have an effect on pain… He qouted figures etc that it wouldn’t…

Anyway on operation day last Tuesday I was last of 8 to go down, I was left in a room on my own for 3 hours…waiting. when I went to theatre I had to stand next to the bed as they cleaned the gauze and fluid from the previous patient who was being assisted into a chair outside …the theatre was small 15 foot square? With double doors by my left foot…

The surgeon started scrubbing up and iodineing me…

At which point I’m naked from the waste down and the door is opened and held open by a nurse who asks questions of a colleague behind me… I objected and was roughly told by the surgeon to lie back and ignore it they are mediacl staff … At this point tools are on my stomach and I point out there’s been no anasthetic he lifted my left leg and I got the Jab for the left into my perineum… He didn’t wait he started incising there and then and I felt it, horrendous. This wasn’t to end as my vas was pulled out the sack the door was held open again and a nurse started restocking the shelves from the morning work… The door was held open whilst People passed not more than 10 foot away looking at my mauled genitalia and vas deferens in clamps … It was repeated for the right, but after a further objection by me he was far rougher and now another nurse entered a total of four times to argue over a code for a drugs locker with the male nurse at my head… The sutures numbered 5 and are rough and uneven…

The surgeon left before I was of the table., I conveyed how horrendous it was to the theatre nurses two look dismayed the other two said nothing…

I have no dignity, no privacy and am having nightmares about this, I am not a scardy cat bloke. It this has left me having flashbacks…,…

I have as dumped in a room for two hours and given a discharge letter with no wound check and only mediocre post care instructions…

I left in immediate agony, no swelling but proper kicked in the bollocks pains and low stomach pain… That night I took co codamol (codeine and paracetamol(apap))

Wednesday came and i was in agony, only a 1/4 sized bruise. I hit the ibuprofen and codeine and paracetamol and codeine, I survived till Thursday and called the post op number, I went to the hospital and got an African female doctor who had never seen male genitalia, she rang my consultant I was given tramadol…

By Friday my right ball was twice as big and purple, consultant saw me and said it was normal hematoma and would be gone by the weekend…

Monday comes and right ball is black now, Monday night and my whole.penis is purple left ball is black and growing at speed… Casualty it is then (at a major NHS hospital), I end up 5 hours in casualty when I’m sent to a urology ward at 3 am…

That was 32 hours ago, so far they’ve stopped my nsaids medication as I’m asthmatic, this means I’m only getting tramadol every 6 hours, it works for 3/4… Paracetamol does nothing… I’m then left in unbearable agony for 1/2 hours whilst I wait.

I’ve had an ultrasound, my testicles aren’t damaged but I’m lucky I came in when I did. I have several hematomas…they are receding with the bedrest …

I have an undiscovered large variocele so shouldn’t have had a vasectomy with that present.
They have swollen enough to burst the stitches today, no fluid though.

My testicle are hard and very very large. The epidymis are as big and hard.

The uro has said a month of bedrest, 3 months of no driving, no desk work, no manual work…

I will likely be left with pain given my epidymis. There is no infections thank god!!?

I’m gratefull none of my treatment has cost me money, or debt (I don’t know how you Americans do it, I really dont)
But I am self employed and 9 months ago I sank the family’s wealth Into a new business… I’m now out the game, the wife is doing what she can but there is four kids aswell… (20/15/11/6) but two have mental health and learning disabilities… Basically the business is fucked without me… But it’s my health versus the family’s wealth… This alone is likely to cost my marriage.

Which hospital mate? I had mine done about 10 days ago. Renacres in Ormskirk.

Spire in Liverpool, I’m now in whiston…

Sorry to hear about your issues. Mine was okay, obviously it’s not great but I only felt relatively minor discomfort during the op. I’m now feeling the odd little twinge and having minor urinating issues but one thing I’m slowly realising is that this is no minor procedure and it can and probably will tak a good few months to get back to something resembling normal.

I hope your issues resolve over time mate.

The point I’ve realised very very very quickly and what I’m as using friends is…

It doesn’t matter how many people have complications 1%/10%/33%…
Its how they remedy those who do have complications, at best you need extended time of work, potentially months you will need strong analgesics and the association and associated issues, of your fit and healthy be prepared to lose your fitness and muscle.

And even then there is no guarantee…

All the doctors seem interested in is whether you have sperm or not…they classify a successful vasectomy as one with no sperm, doesn’t matter that your so crippled with pain and swelling that you can’t have sex anyway…

In my opinion this procedure belongs in the dark ages with electric bshock therapy and labotimiesm…

They definitely need to educate themselves more on the mechanics of the testicles/bladder/prostate, and how they function and interact. They don’t seem to know anywhere near enough.

how did it go Michael, I get mine on Tuesday

Not too bad to be honest mate. It’s uncomfortable and you feel alot of strange sensations but I didn’t feel any pain really. It’s just recovering that’s the crucial bit I think. Take it really easy for as long as you can, and realise that realistically it’s probably going to be months before you’re fully recovered.

I’ve had no pain really, aching here and there and Abit of swelling today but nothing bad. I’m having issues with urinating though which may be related, but I’m hoping it’s just my body dealing with the trauma. I’m trying to be positive and give it at least a few months, taking it as easy as I can.

Don’t expect any sympathy off anyone in NHS @Andyscouseuk, read up on the thread here about congestive pains cured with papaya.

I will have reversal done on Monday, not suggesting or trying to promote anything, but would be worth starting some homework done on the next moves.

Somegreybloke how much of the papaya seeds were you taking, and how? I’ve ordered them from eBay and there coming g from India.

Despite the hematoma by balls are huge and the epiddiymis and tubes are even bigger again…

The constant ache is awfull, I’ve been told this the hematoma, but I’m sceptical how would a bleed into the scrotum cause my balls and epididymis to swell massively.

@Andyscouseuk I hear you mate, its awful. Had the same also. Not an expert, but sounds like back pressure. I was taking teaspoon in the morning and at night and had decent results with it. I had that constant lingering dull ache and swollen testi and epididymis as well.

What helped me most was to get the inflammation down to as low as possible. There are a lot of herbal remedies you can take for this like omega 3, turmeric and serrapeptase. Change of diet is also important. Pain on this regime subsided and get more of a discomfort rather than pain those days. You can read my post about reversal where I have a detailed account of recovery.

I’m not changing diet for the world… I used to be a fatty but lost 30% of my bodyweight and only have a ketogenic diet now (high fat, high protein and extremely low carb)

Even a small amount of a carb rich diet (even balanced) sends my weight up and blood sugar skiwiff…

I’ll try the papaya but what are the others you reccomended and why?

Oh and I’m also b12 dedicient so am used to treating that with weekly self injections )as usual the NHS are quarterly so I treat myself weekly)

I also take the contactors etc like iron and folate…

One thing to note if you treat with b vitamins is you can’t o erdose on any b vitamin apart from b6 and the symptoms of b6 overdose are the same as b12 deficiency especially the nerve and neuro symptoms…

I have mine on Tuesday in New Zealand mate I am sure with the timeline difference we will have it on the same day, Good luck and all the best, lets hope that the nightmare will be over.

I had a pre op call today, and lady on the phone said they had someone flying from NZ scheduled for reversal on Tue, and I thought it was you! Good luck too @Francis

Ha ha… Don’t worry about us mate. Sounds like you got what you paid for. I would rather be in our system and have the luxury of choice than be the last case on Friday in some government workers queue.

I really feel bad for you. It sounds like the level of customer service you got was poor and the quality of the service provided was extremely poor bordering on malpractice. The sad thing is that vasectomy does not qualify as one of the operations people give a ship about mens valid complaints (like being opened up with insufficient anesthesia/numbing agents and being left with life altering pain). With the current politics in the states with #metoo and the increasing identity politics, men’s health issues, particularly something like birth control, has become very much us vs them (men vs. women) politically. Valid male concerns are swept under the rug and it is acceptable for men to be pressured on surgical sterilization in ways women never would be. Worse than that if you have a bad outcome you will find few sympathetic ears. Sadly, entire families, women included suffer tremendously. In your case you did the right thing to help your wife but if you even thought this outcome was a 1 in 50 would you still have done it? Would she have let you? The mind can’t comprehend the impact of a bad vasectomy outcome unless it is experiencing it.

Thanks for sharing. It’s important men like you come here and share this information. It will help other men make the decision about how to take care of birth control for them and their families. There are other ways men can step up to the plate. Women need to know cutting is not risk free and it impact them as well if things don’t go as rosily as it is often depicted.