Donate

New member - 10 months out

Hi All,
Had my vasectomy October 30, 2018.
Usual story, 40 years old and happily married with three kids. My wife does not tolerate the pill very well so I decided “to be a man” and get a vasectomy.
Worst decision I my life - by far!
Very painful but first weeks I thought/hoped it was just postoperative pain.
The next months were hard. Depressed over the hole situation and in much pain. Had to get sick leave from my desk job.
After 2-3 months I started gabapentin and found some help. Amitryptin was also tried but too many side effects - nearly crashed the car one morning.
After 4-5 months Pain slowly decreasing but still not able to wear jeans and found it hard to work full time. Sleeping more than 4-5 hrs a day was difficult.
At one time pain was bad and I had diarrhea for almost a week. At this point I was on 8x300mg gabapentin and it may have contributed.
Decreased gabapentin and found it had low effect. Now only 300mg before bed.
Tried vitaminC, vitamin B and lipoic acid.
Have been using papaya seed powder last three months. Maybe some effect but the pain never goes completely away.
Low pain in the morning that rises during the day. Usually in scrotum and bottom of testicles. Right side worst. Driving gives pain higher up - maybe 10cm above penis - still right side.

Found much useful information on this site - thanks a lot to all contributors!

The urologists here in Denmark first suggested removing the entire epididymis - a so-called
epididymectomy

I managed to convince them to try a reversal instead. Less drastic and leaves more options available afterwards.

Sorry for the short sentences. I am writing this on my phone from the hospital bed after the reversal a few hours ago :-).

Some pain from the surgery as expected. But hopefully it solves the chronic pain I was in due the vasectomy.

I am sorry for your misfortune. Good luck with everything and keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks!
Day 2 after reversal. Still in bed all day but pain is not too bad. It is mainly from the incisions, but it overrides the congestion pain so I cannot tell whether it has helped on that.
But so far so good.

All the best with the recovery keep us posted.

Good luck.Keep us informed!

Day 5 after reversal. The last two days my left shoulder has been extremely painful. Definitely a result of lying on my back >20 hrs a day.
I hope to get an appointment with a chiropractor tomorrow.
Slowly decreasing pain from the operation although a bit hard to tell with the shoulder pain.
Bottom of scrotum blue to black after the surgery. Similar to after my vasectomy actually and not worse which I think is positive. Will probably resolve within a week or two.
I have only had very small amount of pain along the spermatic cords. Also positive and actually a bit unexpected:-).
Still far from healed up after the reversal but so far so good.

Day 17 after reversal.
Still slowly improving. Stitches (2x3) removed at day 10. Not very painful compared to what I went through after the vasectomy.
I am still having issues with my left shoulder but it seems to be slowly improving. Will get an MRI of the neck to check for prolapse in a few days.
In the morning pain is quite low but steadily increases during the day. Feels a lot like before the reversal but given its only been 17 days since the surgery I am quite optimistic it should improve.
I went back to work on day 6 which was definetely a bit too early. Still wearing loose pants just like it’s been the case ever since the vase vasectomy.
Driving still causes a pain higher up on the right side. My new habit is to bring an ice pack in the car. It seems to help quite a lot :slight_smile:
Still haven’t had ejaculation. It will probably be painful as my epi is still painful to touch.
But hopefully in due time it could go away.
Will keep you posted. So far I am very happy that no new types of pain seems to have arises as a result of the reversal surgery.

Glad to hear you’re doing well @chronic_pain. Don’t get discouraged if you start getting new pains around 4 weeks mark.