Donate

New Male Contraceptive Gel enters clinical trials

https://m.slashdot.org/story/349158

"The first clinical trial is underway to test a new male contraceptive that could be a game changer for preventing pregnancy. From a report: “(It’s) a combination of two horomones: Progestin, which is the typical horomone that is found in female contraceptive pills, which they put in there to suppress sperm production, to trick the body, and testosterone, which is the male sex horomone so that there’s normal circulating levels of testosterone that men don’t lose their libido or sexual function or have any changes in mood,” said CBS News medical contributor Dr. Tara Narula.

The National Institutes of Health is enrolling about 420 couples to use an experimental gel that has been in development for more than 10 years. If proven effective, it would be the first hormonal birth control for men. The gel is applied to the back and shoulders. Researchers found that testosterone, once absorbed through the skin, stays in the system longer than testosterone taken in pill form does. Male volunteers will use the gel every day for four to 12 weeks."

I could foresee the sort of mood fluctuations women dislike when taking the pill from this, but anything that bangs another nail into the coffin lid for vasectomy sounds like a potentially positive step.

Plus with the surgeries I’ve had, my testosterone levels already seem a bit skrewed anyhow.

New male birth control being studied
Why do people say there's no male birth control pill?

Thanks for posting a link to another possible form of male birth control.

I for one can see where this certainly wouldn’t be risk free by any means, but all at the same time, I’m not seeing how this option could cause pvp, pvps, male disfigurement, and so on.

In all honesty, the article reads a bit like using TRT as a form of male birth control, and anyone that’s done their homework on the risks and side effects of TRT knows what I’m talking about.

By the looks of it, it boosts T levels and shutting down sperm production - win/win.

I would recommend you do your homework on this before you start jumping to conclusions that are nothing but positive.

If your the guy that takes this stuff and suffers from hormonal imbalance as a side effect, has a heart attack, stroke, suffers from testicular atrophy, other potential risks, and then some, it’s not sounding so great.

It’s an option nevertheless.

Yes, admitted, it’s not 100% safe, but can’t be worse than suffering from pvps.

Yea, I agree with you on that. I can think of many reasons it’s likely considerably safer than a vasectomy, or the equivalent of it.

Hard for me to say a whole lot more about it without piles of data, piles of testimonials, etc.

I can see it’s benefits if congestion is an issue after vasectomy, or failed reversal.