Sorry for the delay in replying to your request to update you on the additional steps that Dr. P and I discussed at our last appointment, but I've been busy at work and trying to wait out the time frame to see if there would be any resolution to the pain. On Monday, it will have been 4 weeks since the cryo. So far, the pain persists as always.
So, what we discussed are what additional steps might be undertaken. First, we discussed Botox block injections. To me, this seems like a 'stop-gap' measure since the botox is temporary, although he said that it could give months of relief, and that a series of 3-4 injection procedures could feasibly stop the pain permanently. Here's the rub: the Botox is not covered by insurance (although the block itself is). My insurance considers the block "out-of-network" which results in higher deductibles and well as a higher co-pay. It could very well be completely out of my budget.
Secondly, we discussed orchiectomy. Since my pain issues are concentrated in the testicualar area and nowhere else, it might be a viable option. I asked if the Botox injections would simply be postponing the inevitiable (orchiectomy), and he said that in my case, that may very well be the case.
Finally, we discussed what would happen IF after orchiectomy the pain did not stop (i.e."phantom pain"), and he said they could do an abdominal denervation, but only as a last resort.
I am still hopeful of some sort of pain resolution from the cryo. Like I said, it has only been 1 month, and as he told me, it could take a month or two before we would know anything for certain. But, those are my options. I'm really on the fence about which way I will eventually be able to go, but I'm still willing to wait. I don't see Dr. P for another couple of months, so I have plenty of time to weigh out all options and considerations.