Donate

Medical Cannabis - long-term experiences

Hello,
I want to start this topic being well aware of different threads on the past. However, I am not interested in what specific product one could get where, etc., but about experiences with long-term consumption of medical cannabis prescribed by doctors.
I seriously consider giving it a try instead of my opioids and pregabalin, as I’ve read a lot of fantastic stuff about medical cannabis treatments.
I really wonder if anyone has tried that longer term, i.e. more than 3-6 months, and can report on
a) whether that has solved the pain for good
b) how much it has reduced pain while taking it
c) how long people actually took it
d) what side effects were encountered

In my humble opinion you’d probably benefit more in diagnosing what kind of pains you have, whether it’s nerves or imflammation @Juno.

Agree. Any idea how to differentiate? Would appreciate hints as this is what I ask myself every day

Form what I’ve learned, not easy at all @Juno. In my situation, I had pains and aches all over pelvis area. Sharp shooting pains in the base of my penis and along spermatic cord in the inguinal canal area, dull ache in my testicle and visibly swollen epidydimis. For me it was imflammation and congestion, I started taking papaya seeds, did a lot of research into low inflammation diets and supplements, and 3 months later I have improved a lot. By all means, this is just my individual case, and not guaranteed to work for you.

I know that @raising4girls tried nerve medication, maybe he will be able to help you with what he knows.

I mentioned before that I had a sharp stinging pain right at the surgery. I take this as an indication of nerve pain. Then again, I haven’t had these sharp shooting pains lately a lot; there were some right after the surgery, when lifting smaller items, and there was a hell of lot of pain when I got the bupovacaine injection into the spermatic chord near the testicles, and a few days afterwards. But mostly it’s the “kicked in the nuts” feeling.
I also noticed, when I swapped Tapentadol for Tramadol, that I got this hot burning sensation in my abdomen; now that I am back to Tramadol, it’s again more the dull pain in my testicles. I am not sure what’s going on, wonder if anyone had something similar experienced. The block did not work at all, I could feel the area numb, but the pain was sitting deeper.
I do take papaya seeds for 2 weeks or so, I think it has zero effect. I take it should typically bring relief for congestion pain, so there’s another indication that might not be what I have. I do get intensified pain after ejaculations, but I really don’t have a lot these days.
My theory right now is, after reading a good post by Aschiro ([Pelvic Floor/Bulbospongiosus Pain],(//www.postvasectomypain.org/t/pelvic-floor-bulbospongiosus-pain/2511/25)), that I could have damage to the pudendal nerve. I am doing some stretching exercise, they bring short-term relief. I don’t else what to do right now other than waiting.

Papaya can take up to 3 months to start working as some reported so might as well keep taking it. Nothing to loose. Nerves settle too, have a read @Kyvas story, think he was similar to you too.

Can I just chime in here and add you might want to try Kratom aswell as cannabis I found it to be better for pain relief…its legal in some places and others you will have to find online to try it.

I have tried THC-Oil which supposedly can bring pain relief without actually giving a high.
At the same time I was on relatively high doses of gabapentin and did not actually give the THC-oil a serious try.
Now i am more or less of the gabapentin I should Probably consider starting up on the THC-oil again.

I’m guessing you mean CBD oil, because THC oil will most certainly give you a high/buzz.

Yes!! CBD oil it is :slight_smile:

From “An overview of the management of post-vasectomy pain syndrome” Wei Phin Tan, Laurence A Levine

Initial pharmacological therapy should include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) over a period of 2–4 weeks. In our experience, NSAIDs typically work best in patients who experience PVPS <1 year from their vasectomy.

Failing NSAIDs therapy, we recommend using a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). There has been no clinical trial showing any efficacy in using a TCA for PVPS . Sinclair et al. found that 66.6% of patients with idiopathic testicular pain had improvement of pain in a trial of six patients after 3 months with nortriptyline therapy. However, a subgroup analysis of patients with PVPS did not show the same improvement .

Limiting factors of this study include a small sample size and its retrospective nature. However, TCA has been shown to treat nerve pain in patients with diabetic neuropathy as well as postherpetic neuralgia. TCA works by inhibiting the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain. It also inhibits sodium channel blockers and L-type calcium channels that are thought to be responsible for its analgesic effect by modulating first order neuron synapses with second order neuron synapses in the dorsal horn of the spinal cord. Tertiary amines ( amitriptyline and clomipramine ) are reported to be more effective for neuropathic pain compared to secondary amines (desipramine and nortriptyline). However, tertiary amines are also associated with more sedation and postural hypotension. TCA may take 2–3 weeks from initiation of therapy to be effective. Anticonvulsants have also been shown to work for neuropathic pain. The two mainstays of anticonvulsants used for neuropathic pain are gabapentin and pregabalin due to the paucity of side effects in the older generation anticonvulsants. There has been no clinical trial showing any efficacy in using anticonvulsants for PVPS. Sinclair et al. found that 61.5% of patients with idiopathic testicular pain had improvement of pain in a trial of 13 patients after 3 months with gabapentin therapy. However, a subgroup analysis of patients with PVPS also did not show any improvement of pain .Limiting factors of this study have been discussed above and include a small sample size with only 13 patients on gabapentin having complete data and an even smaller PVPS group of four patients. However, gabapentin has also been shown in large, randomized, placebo-controlled trials to relieve pain in patients with diabetic polyneuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia, and other types of neuralgia.The proposed mechanism of gabapentin as an analgesic is that it modulates the α-2-d subunit of N-type calcium channels which affects the afferent pain fibers. Long-term treatment with narcotic agents is not recommended as this does not address the underlying pathological condition and carries the risk of addiction. We occasionally offer a short duration of narcotics for temporary relief of PVPS.

Nonsurgical treatment

Originating around 100 BC in China, acupuncture is regarded as the earliest form of neuromodulation. It is considered a form of alternative medicine and continues to remain a key component of traditional Chinese medicine. This modality may be recommended for patients with chronic genitourinary pain. There are no published trials on acupuncture for PVPS.

Pelvic floor therapy may also benefit patients with pelvic floor dysfunction. This is particularly beneficial in patients who have muscle dysfunction or myofascial trigger points. In our practice, we routinely recommend specialized pelvic floor physical therapy to patients with PVPS if a positive 360° digital rectal exam is identified.

Something to consider when taking CBD https://youtu.be/dEcJJhyxbDE