Donate

Almost complete pain relief with Metformin

I held off sharing this with the group until I was certain it was a durable pain response.

As many of you know I’ve had lingering issues for the last 5 1/2 years after my reversal. I was able to go back to work after reversal as it took care of the worst of my pain but still could get issues with prolonged sitting.

I am not diabetic. My fasting sugar was getting close to pre-diabetic so I had discussed Metformin with my doctor last year. This year I started having trouble with stubborn weight despite vigorous exercise and training so I requested a script for Metformin to see if it could help me lose some weight.

I started on 500mg a day on a Wednesday and by Saturday when I was expecting to have my usual end of week soreness and pain it never came or was very mild. I figured it was the Metformin and looked online and sure enough there is medical data/research on the use of metformin for neuropathic pain.

It’s been almost 3 months now and I don’t really think about or worry about pain anymore. I still have some altered sensation in my scrotum at my incision sites and where I was dissected/reconnected and my balls of course hang a little higher/different but absent pain I am okay with it.

I want to emphasize that this result was both totally unexpected and has been very dramatic.

I’ll post one of the many links I found about Metformin for pain relief. Again, I did not start taking it expecting any benefit at all in the area of pain management.

Glad to hear it Mike :+1:

That sounds amazing Mike. I will try it.
Thanks for sharing

Very Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Any side effects and if so, how do you handle them?

@chronic_pain,

The one side effect is it makes me tired. When I was training for a swim meet this fall I felt like it made it harder for me to train without getting fatigued so I stopped for a 2 weeks until after my meet and then started up again after my meet.

I take the XR version.

The first night after I took it I did not sleep hardly at all but that went away quickly.

As far as the fatigue goes I feel like that has gotten a little better but I think that may just be unique to me as well. I think the main complaint most people have with it is gastro-intestinal issues. The XR version supposedly takes care of that complaint for most and that’s what I’m on.

I figure for many guys having nerve pain type soreness and discomfort this might be a good thing to try. It may be hard getting a script for it however since it is an off-label use.

It is a cheap old and safe drug and I think it’s something anyone considering surgery should look into. I certainly wish I had been able to try it before my reversal. You want to fire every bullet you can before resorting to surgery. I feel we encourage all men to take that approach and most guys do exhaust the conservative measures first but it’s worth restating.

Has this helped with your arthritis type pain and body soreness?

Not really. I’m 52. When I exert myself I get inflammation and pain in my joints/body.

One thing I’ve noticed though is that if I have a big day of work if I fast while I’m working I don’t get nearly as much of that type of pain. If I get up in the morning and start tackling a task in the yard or garage, the longer I can go without eating the less I have issues with stiffening up.

Fasting is a good way to turn off inflammation for me.

It’s no fun but it works.

If I come in and have a big meal after 5 hours or so of working and sit down for a few minutes, forget. I’m the tin man.

Guys, I am going to pin this for a few weeks to make sure folks see it. I have had remarkable relief since I started taking Metformin.

Hi @MikeO, glad to hear this brings you relief!!! I feel with everyone on this site and every success story brings hope to people out here suffering and looking for a relief.
Can you tell what type of pain you mostly had ?

I had some burning and paresthesia in my groin around where I was dissected (origianal vas) and reconnected (vas reversal). I had scrotal pain where I was in the scrotum basically. I had some pain lower to toward the perineum. It was nerve type pain, not really that testicular type of aching (except a little on the right side).

I had dramatic reduction after about 4 days on metformin. I don’t even have to take it every day. I usually take it at least 5 days during a week. The reason I don’t take it every day is it can make me tired. A couple days off and I’m fine.

I have no idea how it works but in the article I listed you can see that there is awareness in the medical community of its ability to modulate chronic pain/pain perception.

I would like to try ketamine as well but I’m doing good on just metformin right now. It’s night and day.

Good to hear that’s working for you Mike! I’ll keep this in mind if my pain starts to come back