Donate

7 weeks of hell - vasectomy & appendectomy

I am thankful for this forum and wanted to share my story. And even vent a little.

I am 39 years old and had my no scalpel vasectomy on April 5th. I thought I was being smart by scheduling it to when I could watch nonstop coverage of the Masters golf tournament. The first week after the vas I didn’t have any problems so my wife and I resumed sex after 7 days. That was a mistake. During the middle of orgasm I had a terrible pain in what felt like my left epididymis. The pain died down some the rest of the night, and the next day there was swelling, bruising and a general ache. I called the urologist and he wrote me a prescription for 600mg Motrin and scheduled me for a follow up a few days later.

After examination he said that I most likely had a small blood vessel burst in my scrotum which was causing the pain and swelling. He told me to continue to ice the area take the Motrin. After about 5 days I was starting to feel a little better and worked from home on Thursday before going into the office on Friday. While at the office I started to get some numbness in my left thigh and testicle.

I went to bed Friday night and woke up at midnight with a terrible abdominal cramp in my right side. The next morning I went to the ER and they diagnosed my with appendicitis and performed an emergency appendectomy that night. I spent the next 3 nights in the hospital because I was really struggling with the pain from the surgery. I actually passed out twice in the hospital due to the pain. The doctors said it was most likely a vasovagal response. They finally sent me home Tuesday with Norco for the pain.

The next 2-3 weeks were fairly uneventful as I recovered from the laparoscopic surgery. My abdomen was swollen so I couldn’t wear any tight or supportive underwear and mostly wore loose boxers. Probably a mistake. During this time, I only had minimal discomfort in the testicles which could have been due to the body focusing on the surgery pain or the Norco.

A few days before my follow up with the surgeon I started to get a sharp burning pain above my left groin between 2 of the incisions whenever I turned to the right or rolled over from my back to the side while sleeping. The surgeon wasn’t concerned and said it was just the muscle healing.

I was planning to go back to work the following Monday. My wife and I had sex a couple of times over the weekend, and I woke up Sunday morning with a painful dull ache in both testicles (similar to blue balls). Although I have pain on both sides it is mainly on the left near the same location as the previous burst blood vessel. It feels like congestion pain although I don’t notice any swelling in my epididymis.

The ache was constant and seemed to get worse throughout the next 2 weeks along with nausea, depression and hopelessness. I spent a lot of time using ice and taking hot baths. During this time I also realized that I had not been taking my provigil for the previous 4-5 weeks, which I have been on for 8 years for hypersomnia and focus. This drug also acts similar to an antidepressant. I honestly don’t know why I stopped taking it. I guess I was just overwhelmed with everything going on. I think this just fed the fatigue and depression.

Last week I saw the urologist again and I started taking Tramadol in addition to the Motrin for the pain which has started to help a little if taken regularly. He told me to restart the provigil and he wanted to test my testosterone.

I met with him today to discuss the results and my total testosterone was 179 no/dL and the free testosterone was 44 pg/ml! Both well below the normal range and the equivalent of an 80 year old man. I had been tested about 8 years ago for testosterone and was borderline low. The doc thinks that the provigil has been masking some of the low t symptoms like lack of energy, motivation, etc.

My plan is to try the TRT over the next 3 months since my testosterone is so low. I think it will help with the fatigue, depression, lack of motivation and hopelessness. I am hoping it will help with the congestion pain as well.

This has been the toughest 7 weeks of my life. The hardest part has been the downward spiral of negative thoughts and not being able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am lucky to have a very supportive wife who has been my rock and helped me through this.

I am also thankful for this site and inspired by the success stories. I am so mad at myself for not researching the vasectomy more beforehand. I am making it a personal mission of mine to educate other men I meet about the potential consequences of vasectomies.

-CJ

I’m at week 11 and agree with your statement that this has been the hardest time of my life. I don’t say that lightly either because I’ve dealt with plenty of sh*t both physically and mentally throughout my life. I’m glad you’re wife has been supportive. I don’t know where I’d be with out mine. This forum has been a huge blessing for me to be able to vent. I hope things begin to improve for you. You’ve taken a huge hit to your health but you’re still early on with both surgeries and its going to take some time for your body to respond/heal so try and take it easy. Get some help for the bad thoughts because those often times are worse than the pain.

• Jim

It has been a little over a week so I thought I would post an update. I did my first weekly TRT injection the day after my first post. Maybe it was placebo, but I swear I could feel and improvement in sex drive and congestion pain days 2-5. By the end of the week, my epis were swollen and very tender. The left side was a little worse. I was using ice, which helped a little, but I switch to heat and saw more improvement.

I did my second TRT injection (200mg) yesterday and again saw an improvement in pain as well as overall mood. I went for a 2 mile walk yesterday and actually jogged a bit without any additional pain! That is encouraging.

I also found a therapist to talk to about the depressed mood, thoughts of hopelessness, etc. The first session went really well and I have another session tomorrow morning.

I am still taking Tramadol for the pain and Ibuprofen for the inflammation. The doctor also suggested taking Zantac at the same time as the ibuprofen to help with any stomach issues.

Right before posting this, I got a call from the urologist with the results of my second testosterone test (which was done hours before my first injection). The numbers were even lower! Total was 105 and free was 24!