Donate

3.5 months post-reversal, still getting better

Hi guys, just a quick update here…

Had my reversal about 3.5 months back after a year of PVPS starting during the vasectomy procedure. It has been a slow recovery with some ups and downs but the pain continues to decrease still since the reversal. I think the issue I had before with epididymal tenderness and pain coming from there is mostly or totally gone. now I still have pain from the re-connections that mostly feels like a tightness and irritation in my belly a bit below my belly button and on either side in the same area. When it gets aggravated from sitting or too much activity it goes from tightness to more uncomfortable and eventually stabbing pains. If I ice regularly I can keep it on the lower end of the discomfort range. I’ve been icing typically 4 to 5 times a day if I can- before I get up and when I go to bed, at lunch and if I need it/ have the time I do more. Sitting is an issue for me but I have eliminated a lot of sitting from my life and that really helps: I take the train to and from work and stand the whole time, then work at a standing desk for most of the day. That way I can really limit the irritation down below and keep the inflammation low.

My first SA after reversal was around 0.6 million/ mL. the last one was 2 million/ mL after being on Medrol, so improving but not yet normal. I’m currently on another month of medrol and going in for my next SA this week. I’m getting more hopeful that the pain will continue down and eventually go away completely. I am able to do more day by day, but still healing - My balls get random bruising sometimes, I think after I am more active, so from that I take it that something is not completely healed internally. To me it is a positive sign that if I’m still healing the pain can keep going down from here.

I’m thinking of going for a gentle jog today to get my blood pumping. I’m hoping I’m at a point that exercise will be beneficial and not cause problems. Up to this point I have been very cautious about over-doing it, but I think exercise might help to heal faster at this point.

Good luck. Recovery from reversal is a slow process. Glad you’re taking the long-term outlook.

Another quick update… Still getting better after the reversal, now around 3.5 months out. I can say pretty confidently at this point that the reversal is helping. I’m not pain-free yet though, progress is slow but fairly steady. My pain still fluctuates up and down, but overall going down week to week. It seems like the pain is from the re-connections on each side, it feels more internal in my abdomen compared with the scrotal congestion pains I had pre-reversal. I tried going for a jog a couple of weeks back, but that made things more sore so I decided I’m not ready for jogging yet, I don’t think the re-connections are totally healed/ there is still inflammation that needs to go away, so focusing on rest and still icing aggressively as much as I can manage, I do think that is helping.

I got my latest SA numbers back and I’m up to 16 million/mL. Hooray! over the last 3 moths I had 0.6, then 2.0, now 16 million/mL. I have been feeling better as the counts go up so I’m feeling optimistic about the future.

Sounds like you’re on about the same recovery path I had with my 2006 reversal. That’s good news as the results were pain-free after 6 months that lasted for 8-1/2 years.

Hi @KevinL – Any chance you could post an update on your reversal progress?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post an update on my situation for those following along at home. I got a reversal now 6 months ago at ICVR, which was 1 year post-vas. It has been a long and slow road to recovery for me, but I have seen a steady trend of less pain and discomfort since having the reversal. Initially after the operation I was of course more sensitive and in more pain from having scrotal surgery, but the pain has been going down ever since. That is awesome because for the last 3-6 months or so before getting the reversal I felt like the pain was at a certain moderate and fluctuating level, but not going down over time no matter what I tried. I felt that I would have to deal with that every day for maybe the rest of my life if I didn’t take some action. Reversal was the only option that made sense to me, and I always felt I was suffering mostly from what people describe as congestion pain.

I still have fluctuating pains and discomfort, mostly in my abdomen and sore balls, but the pain level is lower and the issues are less frequent. I am still icing at least 2X per day ~30 minutes, more if I am having discomfort. I am still taking meloxicam NSAID every day. I also take 2 fish oil pills and 1 vitamin D pill each day. I plan to stick with this regimen until the pain is completely gone (fingers crossed that I get there).

Every month or so for the last few I have tried to run for exercise, but mostly stopped after one try because it made things worse for a few days after. This weekend I had what feels like a major milestone where I went for a nice long jog and the thing that slowed me down was my knee and hip, not scrotal pain. I made sure to ice afterwards and was sore in the evening, but felt pretty good the next day. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel I hope.

My SA counts have fluctuated some. This last one I was at 2 million/mL, which is lower than normal and lower than my previous ~15 million/mL, but no change in treatment. ICVR just recommended to stay hydrated as that increases the volume and number. They said SA counts typically go down when it gets warmer and they often fluctuate so not to worry. I was worried when I first saw the number but the trend of feeling better physically tells me I am on a good path.

Best if luck to you PVPS sufferers out there, I hope you find some something that works for you. I think I still have a few months to go, but I think reversal is working for me.

That’s wonderful @KevinL!

glad to hear it @KevinL and glad to hear you didn’t have the issues i’ve had. reversal really isn’t just some minor surgery though, is it? :slight_smile:

The surgery might be considered minor by surgeons, but recovery was no walk in the park for me. Vasectomy wasn’t a minor thing either for me, despite the rosy sales pitch

how’s your incision site? i’m about 2 months ahead of you and i’m still far from healed

There is a clean scar there, but still sensitive to the touch. I guess all of the scars on the inside are sensitive too at this point.

Hi @KevinL, just been reading your stories and wondered if you had any new updates?

Sure, quick update. Since the reversal I have had some ups and downs. I saw pretty good improvement, less pain etc, for the first 5 months or so post-reversal. I started to think the PVPS was on it’s way out, so tried different forms of exercise, running, biking (recumbent bike), but any moderate level of these things ended up making the pain worse and would take the better part of a week to get back to where I was before exercising. I was pretty frustrated, thinking I should be getting better but still not able to do the things I really want to do. I think hot weather also made all of it worse, seems more inflamed when I get too hot. So, I’ve gone back to not really exercising, still icing at least 2X/day, and taking meloxicam daily. When I have gone off of the NSAID I realize I am not fully healed. The sensitivity at this point seems to come a lot from spermatoceles I have on each side. I think when I exercise everything gets jostled around and gets inflamed. If I don’t exercise the pain is at a low level most of the time and only gets bad occasionally, mostly at the end of the day.

so, my plan for now is to take it really easy, keep icing and taking NSAIDs and hope for some slow improvement. It seems to be working, but my fear is that when I eventually try to get back to exercising again I will have the same issues. My last semen anlyses have bounced up and down a bit, I think I am around 35 million total, 16 MM/mL at my last count. I believe this is just below the normal range, so seems like my connections are open for the most part, for which I am grateful. I’m in a better place than pre-reversal, but still not satisfied until I can exercise on a regular basis.

Improvement is definitely better than nothing, good luck man, I hope it will fully improve for you.

Hi @KevinL, with regards to your pains after exercise, are they different pains than the ones you had after vas? Is the soreness around epi and testicles gone? Cheers, Paul

I had to wear very supportive briefs to run after my reversal. I bought a few pairs of these at the time which helped hugely:

Some soreness is gone. I used to get a more general aching throughout testicles, and would get to be very painful throbbing, nausea, stabbing abdominal pains. I had some stabbing pains for a few months after the reversal but not since, and nausea and throbbing pressure in the epidydimis has been gone since the reversal. Overall things are better since reversal, but some of it is still an issue. Now that the other pains are gone It makes it mor obvious the spermatocele is the source of what is left. I’m hoping it will continue to subside slowly.